Comparative analysis of foetal calf and human low density lipoprotein: relevance for pharmacodynamics of photosensitizers.
AffiliationCRC Laser Oncology Group, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, Wilmslow Rd, Manchester M20 4BX, UK. email@example.com
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe effects of differences in lipoprotein content on the distribution of the novel hydrophobic photosensitizer n-butyl-3-[18-(2-butylcarbamoyl-ethyl)-3,7,12,17-tetramethyl-18,13-divinyl-22,24-dihydro-porphin-2-yl]propionamide (PP-N-3) and haematoporphyrin ester (HpE), a relatively hydrophilic photosensitizer, in human (HS) and foetal calf sera (FCS), were investigated. The binding characteristics of human and foetal calf low-density lipoprotein (LDL) were characterised using a human fibroblast line (Vag 12). The uptake into cells of HpE and PP-N-3 was also examined. A comparison of the lipoprotein content, composition and receptor-binding characteristics of foetal calf and human serum was also carried out. LDL content was measured directly using sequential ultracentrifugation to isolate LDL. In our study, we found haematoporphyrin ester to bind to human very low-density lipoprotein (VLDL), LDL and high-density lipoprotein (HDL) in the ratio 2:31:65. In the case of PP-N-3 this ratio was 56:10:33. As VLDL was not detected in foetal calf serum, only binding to LDL and HDL was observed. Using the sequential ultracentrifugation technique, foetal calf serum was found to contain LDL which in turn did bind to human LDL receptors. The uptake of PP-N-3 and HpE in the presence of low density lipoprotein from foetal calf serum (FC-LDL) was not significantly different to values observed in the presence of human serum low density lipoprotein (HS-LDL).
CitationComparative analysis of foetal calf and human low density lipoprotein: relevance for pharmacodynamics of photosensitizers. 2002, 66 (3):171-8 J. Photochem. Photobiol. B, Biol.
JournalJournal of Photochemistry and Photobiology. B, Biology
- Photosensitizer targeting in photodynamic therapy. II. Conjugates of haematoporphyrin with serum lipoproteins.
- Authors: Hamblin MR, Newman EL
- Issue date: 1994 Nov
- Structural peculiarities of the binding of very low density lipoproteins and low density lipoproteins to the LDL receptor in hypertriglyceridemia: role of apolipoprotein E.
- Authors: Dergunov AD, Smirnova EA, Merched A, Visvikis S, Siest G, Yakushkin VV, Tsibulsky V
- Issue date: 2000 Feb 24
- Low density lipoprotein receptor internalizes low density and very low density lipoproteins that are bound to heparan sulfate proteoglycans via lipoprotein lipase.
- Authors: Mulder M, Lombardi P, Jansen H, van Berkel TJ, Frants RR, Havekes LM
- Issue date: 1993 May 5
- Low-density lipoprotein receptors in the uptake of tumour photosensitizers by human and rat transformed fibroblasts.
- Authors: Polo L, Valduga G, Jori G, Reddi E
- Issue date: 2002 Jan
- Low-density lipoprotein receptor binding determinants switch from apolipoprotein E to apolipoprotein B during conversion of hypertriglyceridemic very-low-density lipoprotein to low-density lipoproteins.
- Authors: Bradley WA, Hwang SL, Karlin JB, Lin AH, Prasad SC, Gotto AM Jr, Gianturco SH
- Issue date: 1984 Dec 10