Intranodal myofibroblastoma: study of a case suggesting smooth-muscle differentiation.
AffiliationDepartment of Histopathology, Christie Hospital NHS Trust, Manchester, United Kingdom. Brian.Eyden@christie-tr.nwest.nhs.uk
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractA case of intranodal myofibroblastoma with amianthoid fibres was studied by histology, immunohistochemistry and electron microscopy, in a Canadian Caucasian male presenting with an inguinal mass which appeared following a sports injury. Tumour cells were spindled and formed haphazard interlacing fascicles with intervening areas of haemorrhage. They were positive for vimentin, alpha-smooth-muscle actin and HHF35. By electron microscopy, they displayed moderate numbers of rough endoplasmic reticulum cisternae, fine actin-sized filaments in cell processes, and discrete stretches of unambiguous lamina ('external' lamina), sometimes in association with short attachment plaques. The fibronectin fibrils and fibronexus junctions characteristic of myofibroblasts were not seen. The absence of fibronexus junctions and the presence of surface features typical of smooth-muscle cells (attachment plaques with overlying lamina) suggest that this tumour is not myofibroblastic but is exhibiting a degree of smooth-muscle differentiation. The findings confirm earlier observations suggesting that some intranodal myofibroblastomas are not myofibroblastic, but show a form of smooth-muscle differentiation.
CitationIntranodal myofibroblastoma: study of a case suggesting smooth-muscle differentiation., 33 (1-2):157-63 J. Submicrosc. Cytol. Pathol.
JournalJournal of Submicroscopic Cytology and Pathology
- Intranodal myofibroblastoma: report of a case.
- Authors: Eyden BP, Harris M, Greywoode GI, Christensen L, Banerjee SS
- Issue date: 1996 Jan-Feb
- Electron microscopy in the study of myofibroblastic lesions.
- Authors: Eyden B
- Issue date: 2003 Feb
- [Myofibroblastoma of the lymph nodes].
- Authors: Vajda K, Ecsedy G
- Issue date: 1996 Sep 29
- Myofibroblastoma of breast: evidence favoring smooth-muscle rather than myofibroblastic differentiation.
- Authors: Eyden BP, Shanks JH, Ioachim E, Ali HH, Christensen L, Howat AJ
- Issue date: 1999 Jul-Aug
- Epithelioid sarcoma: a case report with ultrastructural confirmation of myofibroblastic differentiation based on fibronexus junctions.
- Authors: Eyden B, Wang G, Yao L
- Issue date: 2009 Mar-Apr