Uptake of screening and prevention in women at very high risk of breast cancer.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractManagement of women at high lifetime risk of familial breast cancer is hampered because of limited data concerning the appropriateness of treatment options. Over the past 8 years women at very high (>40%) lifetime risk of breast cancer have had the option of entering two chemoprevention treatment trials, a magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) breast screening study, or a risk-reducing mastectomy (RRM) study. Only 10% of eligible women have entered one of the chemotherapy trials with a similar proportion opting for RRM (>50% in mutation carriers) compared with 60% opting for MRI screening. Future chemotherapy trials will have to be designed to address this poor recruitment.
CitationUptake of screening and prevention in women at very high risk of breast cancer. 2001, 358 (9285):889-90 Lancet
- Prevention and therapy for BRCA1/2 mutation carriers and women at high risk for breast and ovarian cancer.
- Authors: Kuschel B, Lux MP, Goecke TO, Beckmann MW
- Issue date: 2000 Jun
- Reasons for risk-reducing mastectomy versus MRI-screening in a cohort of women at high hereditary risk of breast cancer.
- Authors: Haroun I, Graham T, Poll A, Sun P, Hill K, Weitzner E, Narod S, Warner E
- Issue date: 2011 Jun
- Prevention with tamoxifen or other hormones versus prophylactic surgery in BRCA1/2-positive women: a decision analysis.
- Authors: Grann VR, Jacobson JS, Whang W, Hershman D, Heitjan DF, Antman KH, Neugut AI
- Issue date: 2000 Jan-Feb
- Risk management options elected by women after testing positive for a BRCA mutation.
- Authors: Garcia C, Wendt J, Lyon L, Jones J, Littell RD, Armstrong MA, Raine-Bennett T, Powell CB
- Issue date: 2014 Feb
- Breast cancer after prophylactic bilateral mastectomy in women with a BRCA1 or BRCA2 mutation.
- Authors: Meijers-Heijboer H, van Geel B, van Putten WL, Henzen-Logmans SC, Seynaeve C, Menke-Pluymers MB, Bartels CC, Verhoog LC, van den Ouweland AM, Niermeijer MF, Brekelmans CT, Klijn JG
- Issue date: 2001 Jul 19