Genetic chemoprotection with mutant O6-alkylguanine-DNA-alkyltransferases.
AffiliationCRC Gene Therapy Group, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, Christie Hospital NHS Trust, Wilmslow Road, Manchester, M20 4BX, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractOne of the main barriers to more efficacious use of modern chemotherapeutic agents, is the collateral toxicity exhibited in normal, highly proliferative tissues, primarily the haemopoietic, gastrointestinal and pulmonary tissues. Drug resistance of tumours to these drugs compounds this problem. This review discusses the role of O6-alkylguanine-DNA alkyltransferase (ATase) in conferring protection against O6-alkylating agents in normal tissue, focusing mainly on the haemopoietic compartment. The development of mutant forms of ATase, which are resistant to the effects of soluble analogues of O6-alkylation such as O6-benzylguanine, is examined and the gene therapy approach of combining these two strategies to confer chemoprotection to vulnerable tissues whilst sensitising malignant tissue is reviewed.
CitationGenetic chemoprotection with mutant O6-alkylguanine-DNA-alkyltransferases. 2002, 2 (1):1-8notCurr Gene Ther
JournalCurrent Gene Therapy
- Protection of mammalian cells against chloroethylating agent toxicity by an O6-benzylguanine-resistant mutant of human O6-alkylguanine-DNA alkyltransferase.
- Authors: Hickson I, Fairbairn LJ, Chinnasamy N, Dexter TM, Margison GP, Rafferty JA
- Issue date: 1996 Oct
- Chemoprotective gene transfer II: multilineage in vivo protection of haemopoiesis against the effects of an antitumour agent by expression of a mutant human O6-alkylguanine-DNA alkyltransferase.
- Authors: Chinnasamy N, Rafferty JA, Hickson I, Lashford LS, Longhurst SJ, Thatcher N, Margison GP, Dexter TM, Fairbairn LJ
- Issue date: 1998 Jun
- Chemoprotective gene transfer I: transduction of human haemopoietic progenitors with O6-benzylguanine-resistant O6-alkylguanine-DNA alkyltransferase attenuates the toxic effects of O6-alkylating agents in vitro.
- Authors: Hickson I, Fairbairn LJ, Chinnasamy N, Lashford LS, Thatcher N, Margison GP, Dexter TM, Rafferty JA
- Issue date: 1998 Jun
- Engineering drug resistance in human cells.
- Authors: Fairbairn LJ, Rafferty JA, Lashford LS
- Issue date: 2000 May
- Dual agent chemoprotection by retroviral co-expression of either MDR1 or MRP1 with the P140K mutant of O6-methylguanine-DNA-methyl transferase.
- Authors: Southgate TD, Garside E, Margison GP, Fairbairn LJ
- Issue date: 2006 Aug