Hepatocyte growth factor/scatter factor and its interaction with heparan sulphate and dermatan sulphate.
AuthorsCatlow, Krista R
Deakin, Jon A
Fernig, D G
Gallagher, John T
Pavão, M S G
AffiliationCancer Research UK and University of Manchester Department of Medical Oncology, Christie Hospital NHS Trust, Manchester, U.K. KCatlow@PICR.man.ac.uk
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractHepatocyte growth factor (HGF)/scatter factor (SF) is a unique growth factor, in that it binds both heparan sulphate (HS) and dermatan sulphate (DS). The sequences in HS and DS that specifically interact with and modulate HGF/SF activity have not yet been fully identified. Ascidian DS, which uniquely possesses O-sulphation at C-6 (and not C-4) of its N -acetylgalactosamine unit, was analysed for HGF/SF-binding activity in the biosensor. The kinetic analysis revealed a strong, biologically relevant interaction with an equilibrium dissociation constant ( K (d)) of approx. 1 nM. An Erk activation assay also demonstrated stimulation of the MAP kinase pathway downstream of the Met receptor following addition of both HGF/SF and ascidian DS to the glycosaminoglycan-deficient CHO-745 mutant cell line. Furthermore, the activation of Met and the MAP kinase pathway by HGF/SF and ascidian DS leads to a cellular response in the form of migration.
CitationHepatocyte growth factor/scatter factor and its interaction with heparan sulphate and dermatan sulphate. 2003, 31 (2):352-3 Biochem. Soc. Trans.
JournalBiochemical Society Transactions
- Insights into the structure/function of hepatocyte growth factor/scatter factor from studies with individual domains.
- Authors: Holmes O, Pillozzi S, Deakin JA, Carafoli F, Kemp L, Butler PJ, Lyon M, Gherardi E
- Issue date: 2007 Mar 23
- Hepatocyte growth factor/scatter factor binds with high affinity to dermatan sulfate.
- Authors: Lyon M, Deakin JA, Rahmoune H, Fernig DG, Nakamura T, Gallagher JT
- Issue date: 1998 Jan 2
- The binding properties of minimal oligosaccharides reveal a common heparan sulfate/dermatan sulfate-binding site in hepatocyte growth factor/scatter factor that can accommodate a wide variety of sulfation patterns.
- Authors: Deakin JA, Blaum BS, Gallagher JT, Uhrín D, Lyon M
- Issue date: 2009 Mar 6
- Signalling by HGF/SF and Met: the role of heparan sulphate co-receptors.
- Authors: Kemp LE, Mulloy B, Gherardi E
- Issue date: 2006 Jun
- Isolation and Characterization of a Chinese Hamster Ovary Heparan Sulfate Cell Mutant Defective in Both Met Receptor Binding and Hepatocyte Growth Factor NK1/Met Signaling.
- Authors: Cao T, Pan J, Li X, He Y, Jiang Y, Chang Y, Zhang Q, Lan Y, Wang H, Jiao W, Tian Z, Zhang L
- Issue date: 2018