NAD(P)H: quinone oxidoreductase 1 expression in kidney podocytes.
AffiliationCRC Department of Drug Development, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research and Christie Hospital NHS Trust, Manchester, United Kingdom. firstname.lastname@example.org
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractNAD(P)H:quinone oxidoreductase 1 (NQO1; DT-diaphorase; DTD) is a cytosolic two-electron reductase, and compounds of the quinone family such as mitomycin C are efficiently bioactivated by this enzyme. The observation that DT-diaphorase is highly expressed in many cancerous tissues compared to normal tissues has provided us with a potentially selective target that can be exploited in the design of novel anticancer agents. Because of the relative lack of information about the cell-specific expression of DT-diaphorase, the purpose of this study was to map the distribution of this enzyme in normal human tissues. Fifteen tissue samples from normal human kidney were analyzed for expression of DT-diaphorase by immunohistochemistry (two-step indirect method). We found a specific high expression of DT-diaphorase in glomerular visceral epithelial cells (podocytes). These results suggest that a high expression of DT-diaphorase in podocytes could play a major role in the pathogenesis of renal toxicity and mitomycin C-induced hemolytic uremic syndrome, in which injury to the glomerular filtration mechanism is the primary damage, leading to a cascade of deleterious events including microangiopathic hemolytic anemia and thrombocytopenia. This observation has potential therapeutic implications because the DT-diaphorase metabolic pathway is influenced by many agents, including drugs, diet, and environmental cell factors such as pH and oxygen tension.
CitationNAD(P)H: quinone oxidoreductase 1 expression in kidney podocytes. 2003, 51 (3):297-302 J. Histochem. Cytochem.
JournalThe Journal of Histochemistry and Cytochemistry
- Overexpression of NAD(P)H:quinone oxidoreductase 1 in human reproductive system.
- Authors: Zappa F, Ward T, Butler J, Pedrinis E, McGown A
- Issue date: 2001 Sep
- The effect of functional groups on reduction and activation of quinone bioreductive agents by DT-diaphorase.
- Authors: Fourie J, Oleschuk CJ, Guziec F Jr, Guziec L, Fiterman DJ, Monterrosa C, Begleiter A
- Issue date: 2002 Feb
- Catalytic properties of NAD(P)H:quinone oxidoreductase-2 (NQO2), a dihydronicotinamide riboside dependent oxidoreductase.
- Authors: Wu K, Knox R, Sun XZ, Joseph P, Jaiswal AK, Zhang D, Deng PS, Chen S
- Issue date: 1997 Nov 15
- NAD(P)H:quinone oxidoreductase gene expression in human colon carcinoma cells: characterization of a mutation which modulates DT-diaphorase activity and mitomycin sensitivity.
- Authors: Traver RD, Horikoshi T, Danenberg KD, Stadlbauer TH, Danenberg PV, Ross D, Gibson NW
- Issue date: 1992 Feb 15
- Distribution of DT-diaphorase and reduced nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide phosphate: cytochrome p450 oxidoreductase in bladder tissues and tumors.
- Authors: Li D, Gan Y, Wientjes MG, Badalament RA, Au JL
- Issue date: 2001 Dec