Structural requirements for the interaction of combretastatins with tubulin: how important is the trimethoxy unit?
AffiliationDrug Development Section, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, Christie Hospital NHS Trust, Wilmslow Road, Manchester, M20 4BX.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractA series of combretastatins possessing both a trimethoxy unit and other substituents on ring A has been synthesised and tested for cytotoxicity and their ability to interact with the protein tubulin. All previous studies have indicated that the trimethoxy unit is essential for interaction with tubulin. The studies herein show that molecules possessing functionalities other than trimethoxy can also interact with tubulin. Importantly a trimethyl substituted agent 52a has shown reduced cytotoxicity, but increased potency in its ability to inhibit the assembly of tubulin.
CitationStructural requirements for the interaction of combretastatins with tubulin: how important is the trimethoxy unit? 2003, 1 (17):3033-7 Org. Biomol. Chem.
JournalOrganic & Biomolecular Chemistry
- Synthesis and evaluation of double bond substituted combretastatins.
- Authors: Hadfield JA, Gaukroger K, Hirst N, Weston AP, Lawrence NJ, McGown AT
- Issue date: 2005 Jun
- Synthesis and cytotoxic evaluation of combretafurans, potential scaffolds for dual-action antitumoral agents.
- Authors: Pirali T, Busacca S, Beltrami L, Imovilli D, Pagliai F, Miglio G, Massarotti A, Verotta L, Tron GC, Sorba G, Genazzani AA
- Issue date: 2006 Aug 24
- Combretastatin dinitrogen-substituted stilbene analogues as tubulin-binding and vascular-disrupting agents.
- Authors: Siles R, Ackley JF, Hadimani MB, Hall JJ, Mugabe BE, Guddneppanavar R, Monk KA, Chapuis JC, Pettit GR, Chaplin DJ, Edvardsen K, Trawick ML, Garner CM, Pinney KG
- Issue date: 2008 Mar
- Design, synthesis and biological evaluation of dihydronaphthalene and benzosuberene analogs of the combretastatins as inhibitors of tubulin polymerization in cancer chemotherapy.
- Authors: Sriram M, Hall JJ, Grohmann NC, Strecker TE, Wootton T, Franken A, Trawick ML, Pinney KG
- Issue date: 2008 Sep 1
- New naphthylcombretastatins. Modifications on the ethylene bridge.
- Authors: Sánchez Maya AB, Pérez-Melero C, Salvador N, Peláez R, Caballero E, Medarde M
- Issue date: 2005 Mar 15