The 5T4 oncofoetal antigen is an early differentiation marker of mouse ES cells and its absence is a useful means to assess pluripotency.
AffiliationImmunology Group, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, Christie Hospital NHS Trust, Wilmslow Road, Manchester M20 4BX, UK. email@example.com
MetadataShow full item record
Abstract5T4 oncotrophoblast antigen is a transmembrane glycoprotein expressed by trophoblast and many carcinomas but not most normal adult tissues. Results from overexpression of human and mouse 5T4 cDNA in cell lines are consistent with it having an influence on adhesion, shape and motility. We show that murine embryonic stem cell lines are 5T4 negative but that there is rapid up regulation of protein and transcripts upon differentiation, including derivatives of each primary germ layer, as evidenced by cell surface FACS, western and RT-PCR analyses. The kinetics of differentiation and 5T4 expression are closely correlated, with early events linking 5T4 expression to changes in motility and morphology. Comparison of 5T4 expression with other ES cell transcript (Oct 3/4; Rex-1) and antigen markers (Forsmann, SSEA-1) establishes 5T4 as a useful marker for the non-destructive detection of early differentiation of ES cells. For example, 'undifferentiated' ES phenotype defined as SSEA-1 positive and 5T4 negative is seven times more efficient at chimera formation than SSEA-1-positive/5T4-positive cells. Thus, 5T4 glycoprotein expression is associated with early differentiative events of ES cells involving altered motility, and it has useful practical consequences for assessing ES potency and studying similar processes in development and metastasis.
CitationThe 5T4 oncofoetal antigen is an early differentiation marker of mouse ES cells and its absence is a useful means to assess pluripotency. 2003, 116 (Pt 22):4533-42 J. Cell. Sci.
JournalJournal of Cell Science
- Cell surface 5T4 antigen is transiently upregulated during early human embryonic stem cell differentiation: effect of 5T4 phenotype on neural lineage formation.
- Authors: Ward CM, Eastham AM, Stern PL
- Issue date: 2006 Jun 10
- Metastasis-associated 5T4 oncofoetal antigen is concentrated at microvillus projections of the plasma membrane.
- Authors: Carsberg CJ, Myers KA, Evans GS, Allen TD, Stern PL
- Issue date: 1995 Aug
- Novel vectors for homologous recombination strategies in mouse embryonic stem cells: an ES cell line expressing EGFP under control of the 5T4 promoter.
- Authors: Perez-Campo FM, Spencer HL, Elder RH, Stern PL, Ward CM
- Issue date: 2007 Oct 1
- Inadvertent presence of pluripotent cells in monolayers derived from differentiated embryoid bodies.
- Authors: Ramírez MA, Pericuesta E, Fernández-González R, Pintado B, Gutiérrez-Adán A
- Issue date: 2007
- Transcriptional and post-transcriptional regulation of retrotransposons IAP and MuERV-L affect pluripotency of mice ES cells.
- Authors: Ramírez MA, Pericuesta E, Fernandez-Gonzalez R, Moreira P, Pintado B, Gutierrez-Adan A
- Issue date: 2006 Nov 8