The alleles of the DNA repair gene O6-alkylguanine-DNA alkyltransferase are expressed at different levels in normal human lung tissue.
AffiliationRoy Castle International Centre for Lung Cancer Research, 200 London Road, Liverpool L3 9TA, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractO6-Alkylguanine-DNA alkyltransferase (MGMT) confers resistance to many of the mutagenic and toxic effects of certain classes of alkylating agents by repairing the DNA lesions responsible. The levels of expression of this protein are of interest in relation to the prevention and treatment of cancer in man. They vary widely between individuals, and the basis of this variation is not understood. RT-PCR-RFLP analysis of mRNA from normal human lung tissue reveals that the two MGMT alleles are frequently expressed at different levels, indicating that there is a genetic component to inter-individual variation of MGMT levels and that at least some of this variation maps close to or within the MGMT locus.
CitationThe alleles of the DNA repair gene O6-alkylguanine-DNA alkyltransferase are expressed at different levels in normal human lung tissue. 2003, 24 (10):1691-4 Carcinogenesis
- Quantitative trait locus analysis reveals two intragenic sites that influence O6-alkylguanine-DNA alkyltransferase activity in peripheral blood mononuclear cells.
- Authors: Margison GP, Heighway J, Pearson S, McGown G, Thorncroft MR, Watson AJ, Harrison KL, Lewis SJ, Rohde K, Barber PV, O'Donnell P, Povey AC, Santibáñez-Koref MF
- Issue date: 2005 Aug
- Differential expression of the O6-alkylguanine-DNA alkyltransferase gene in normal human breast and skin tissue: in situ mapping of cell type-specific expression.
- Authors: Wani G, D'Ambrosio SM
- Issue date: 1995 Mar
- Regulation of expression of the DNA repair gene O6-methylguanine-DNA methyltransferase via protein kinase C-mediated signaling.
- Authors: Boldogh I, Ramana CV, Chen Z, Biswas T, Hazra TK, Grösch S, Grombacher T, Mitra S, Kaina B
- Issue date: 1998 Sep 1
- Variability and regulation of O6-alkylguanine-DNA alkyltransferase.
- Authors: Margison GP, Povey AC, Kaina B, Santibáñez Koref MF
- Issue date: 2003 Apr
- In situ detection of O6-methylguanine-DNA methyltransferase messenger RNA in paraffin-embedded human astrocytic tumor tissues by nested in situ RT-PCR is useful in predicting chemotherapy-resistance of tumors.
- Authors: Ohe N, Saio M, Kijima M, Tamakawa N, Suwa T, Kojima Y, Yano H, Kaku Y, Iwama T, Shinoda J, Sakai N, Takami T
- Issue date: 2003 Mar