The conserved Nup107-160 complex is critical for nuclear pore complex assembly.
AuthorsWalther, Tobias C
Hülsmann, Bastian B
Allen, Terence D
Mattaj, Iain W
AffiliationEMBL, Meyerhofstrasse 1, 69117 Heidelberg, Germany.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractNuclear pore complexes (NPCs) are large multiprotein assemblies that allow traffic between the cytoplasm and the nucleus. During mitosis in higher eukaryotes, the Nuclear Envelope (NE) breaks down and NPCs disassemble. How NPCs reassemble and incorporate into the NE upon mitotic exit is poorly understood. We demonstrate a function for the conserved Nup107-160 complex in this process. Partial in vivo depletion of Nup133 or Nup107 via RNAi in HeLa cells resulted in reduced levels of multiple nucleoporins and decreased NPC density in the NE. Immunodepletion of the entire Nup107-160 complex from in vitro nuclear assembly reactions produced nuclei with a continuous NE but no NPCs. This phenotype was reversible only if Nup107-160 complex was readded before closed NE formation. Depletion also prevented association of FG-repeat nucleoporins with chromatin. We propose a stepwise model in which postmitotic NPC assembly initiates on chromatin via early recruitment of the Nup107-160 complex.
CitationThe conserved Nup107-160 complex is critical for nuclear pore complex assembly. 2003, 113 (2):195-206 Cell
- MEL-28/ELYS is required for the recruitment of nucleoporins to chromatin and postmitotic nuclear pore complex assembly.
- Authors: Franz C, Walczak R, Yavuz S, Santarella R, Gentzel M, Askjaer P, Galy V, Hetzer M, Mattaj IW, Antonin W
- Issue date: 2007 Feb
- Cell cycle-dependent differences in nuclear pore complex assembly in metazoa.
- Authors: Doucet CM, Talamas JA, Hetzer MW
- Issue date: 2010 Jun 11
- ELYS is a dual nucleoporin/kinetochore protein required for nuclear pore assembly and proper cell division.
- Authors: Rasala BA, Orjalo AV, Shen Z, Briggs S, Forbes DJ
- Issue date: 2006 Nov 21
- Removal of a single pore subcomplex results in vertebrate nuclei devoid of nuclear pores.
- Authors: Harel A, Orjalo AV, Vincent T, Lachish-Zalait A, Vasu S, Shah S, Zimmerman E, Elbaum M, Forbes DJ
- Issue date: 2003 Apr
- NSF- and SNARE-mediated membrane fusion is required for nuclear envelope formation and completion of nuclear pore complex assembly in Xenopus laevis egg extracts.
- Authors: Baur T, Ramadan K, Schlundt A, Kartenbeck J, Meyer HH
- Issue date: 2007 Aug 15