Identification of a putative intestinal stem cell and early lineage marker; musashi-1.
AuthorsPotten, Christopher S
Tudor, Gregory L
Clarke, Robert B
AffiliationEpithelial Biology Department, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, Christie Hospital NHS Trust, Wilmslow Road, Manchester M20 4BX, UK. firstname.lastname@example.org
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThere are few reliable markers for adult stem cells and none for those of the intestinal epithelium. Previously, indirect experimental approaches have predicted stem cell position and numbers. The Musashi-1 (Msi-1) gene encodes an RNA binding protein associated with asymmetric divisions in neural progenitor cells. Two-day-old, adult, and 4.5 h, 1-, 2-, 4- and 12-day post-irradiation samples of BDF1 mouse small intestine, together with some samples of mouse colon were stained with a rat monoclonal antibody to Musashi-1 (14 H-1). Min ( + / - ) mice with small intestinal adenomas of varying sizes were also analysed. Samples of human small and large bowel were also studied but the antibody staining was weak. Musashi-1 expression was observed using immunohistochemistry in neonatal, adult, and regenerating crypts with a staining pattern consistent with the predicted number and distribution of early lineage cells including the functional stem cells in these situations. Early dysplastic crypts and adenomas were also strongly Musashi-1 positive. In situ hybridization studies showed similar expression patterns for the Musashi mRNA and real-time quantitative RT-PCR showed dramatically more Msi-1 mRNA expression in Min tumours compared with adjacent normal tissue. These observations suggest that Musashi-1 is a marker of stem and early lineage progenitor cells in murine intestinal tissue.
CitationIdentification of a putative intestinal stem cell and early lineage marker; musashi-1. 2003, 71 (1):28-41 Differentiation
- Expression of a candidate marker for progenitor cells, Musashi-1, in the proliferative regions of human antrum and its decreased expression in intestinal metaplasia.
- Authors: Akasaka Y, Saikawa Y, Fujita K, Kubota T, Ishikawa Y, Fujimoto A, Ishii T, Okano H, Kitajima M
- Issue date: 2005 Oct
- Isolation and characterization of a putative intestinal stem cell fraction from mouse jejunum.
- Authors: Dekaney CM, Rodriguez JM, Graul MC, Henning SJ
- Issue date: 2005 Nov
- Mouse-Musashi-1, a neural RNA-binding protein highly enriched in the mammalian CNS stem cell.
- Authors: Sakakibara S, Imai T, Hamaguchi K, Okabe M, Aruga J, Nakajima K, Yasutomi D, Nagata T, Kurihara Y, Uesugi S, Miyata T, Ogawa M, Mikoshiba K, Okano H
- Issue date: 1996 Jun 15
- Expression of RNA-binding protein Musashi in hair follicle development and hair cycle progression.
- Authors: Sugiyama-Nakagiri Y, Akiyama M, Shibata S, Okano H, Shimizu H
- Issue date: 2006 Jan
- The RNA-binding protein Musashi-1 is produced in the developing and adult mouse eye.
- Authors: Raji B, Dansault A, Leemput J, de la Houssaye G, Vieira V, Kobetz A, Arbogast L, Masson C, Menasche M, Abitbol M
- Issue date: 2007 Aug 10