Separase regulates INCENP-Aurora B anaphase spindle function through Cdc14.
AffiliationThe Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, Wilmslow Road, Manchester M20 4BX, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe inner centromere-like protein (INCENP) forms a complex with the evolutionarily conserved family of Aurora Bkinases. The INCENP-Aurora complex helps coordinate chromosome segregation, spindle behavior, and cytokinesis during mitosis. INCENP-Aurora associates with kinetochores in metaphase and with spindle microtubules in anaphase, yet the trigger for this abrupt transfer is unknown. Here we show that the conserved phosphatase Cdc14 regulated the yeast INCENP-Aurora complex, Sli15-Ipl1. Cdc14 dephosphorylated Sli15 and thereby directed the complex to spindles. Activation of Cdc14 by separase was sufficient for Sli15 dephosphorylation and relocalization. Cdc14 not only regulates mitotic exit but also modulates spindle midzone assembly through Sli15-Ipl1.
CitationSeparase regulates INCENP-Aurora B anaphase spindle function through Cdc14. 2003, 302 (5653):2120-4 Science
- Ipl1/Aurora-dependent phosphorylation of Sli15/INCENP regulates CPC-spindle interaction to ensure proper microtubule dynamics.
- Authors: Nakajima Y, Cormier A, Tyers RG, Pigula A, Peng Y, Drubin DG, Barnes G
- Issue date: 2011 Jul 11
- Sli15(INCENP) dephosphorylation prevents mitotic checkpoint reengagement due to loss of tension at anaphase onset.
- Authors: Mirchenko L, Uhlmann F
- Issue date: 2010 Aug 10
- Regulation of Sli15/INCENP, kinetochore, and Cdc14 phosphatase functions by the ribosome biogenesis protein Utp7.
- Authors: Jwa M, Kim JH, Chan CS
- Issue date: 2008 Sep 22
- Functional cooperation of Dam1, Ipl1, and the inner centromere protein (INCENP)-related protein Sli15 during chromosome segregation.
- Authors: Kang J, Cheeseman IM, Kallstrom G, Velmurugan S, Barnes G, Chan CS
- Issue date: 2001 Nov 26
- Cdc14-regulated midzone assembly controls anaphase B.
- Authors: Khmelinskii A, Lawrence C, Roostalu J, Schiebel E
- Issue date: 2007 Jun 18