Differential expression of cytokine genes in fibroblasts derived from skin biopsies of patients who developed minimal or severe normal tissue damage after radiotherapy.
AffiliationChristie Hospital, Manchester, United Kingdom. email@example.com
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractCurative radiotherapy for cancer patients requires the use of radiation doses that are limited by the tolerance of the surrounding normal tissues. Unfortunately, these tolerance doses vary not only between tissues but also between individuals. In a small proportion of sensitive patients, exposure to radiation can lead to severe irreversible morbidity and even death several months to years after treatment. At present these radiosensitive patients can be identified only retrospectively. Here we describe a cytokine microarray technique that was used to identify differentially expressed gene transcripts in fibroblasts obtained from a small group of patients who suffered either negligible or severe normal damage to tissues after radiotherapy. If our preliminary findings can be confirmed, the availability of such markers may eventually allow the prediction of outcome prior to commencement of radiotherapy, and thus allow modification of radiotherapy protocols to minimize adverse late effects, without compromising tumor control.
CitationDifferential expression of cytokine genes in fibroblasts derived from skin biopsies of patients who developed minimal or severe normal tissue damage after radiotherapy. 2002, 157 (3):243-8 Radiat. Res.
- Detection of differentially expressed genes in synovial fibroblasts by restriction fragment differential display.
- Authors: Scaife S, Brown R, Kellie S, Filer A, Martin S, Thomas AM, Bradfield PF, Amft N, Salmon M, Buckley CD
- Issue date: 2004 Nov
- Early and late skin reactions to radiotherapy for breast cancer and their correlation with radiation-induced DNA damage in lymphocytes.
- Authors: López E, Guerrero R, Núñez MI, del Moral R, Villalobos M, Martínez-Galán J, Valenzuela MT, Muñoz-Gámez JA, Oliver FJ, Martín-Oliva D, Ruiz de Almodóvar JM
- Issue date: 2005
- Differential gene expression profile in breast cancer-derived stromal fibroblasts.
- Authors: Singer CF, Gschwantler-Kaulich D, Fink-Retter A, Haas C, Hudelist G, Czerwenka K, Kubista E
- Issue date: 2008 Jul
- Parvoviral infection of endothelial cells and stromal fibroblasts: a possible pathogenetic role in scleroderma.
- Authors: Magro CM, Nuovo G, Ferri C, Crowson AN, Giuggioli D, Sebastiani M
- Issue date: 2004 Jan
- Detection of interleukin 1beta (IL-1beta), IL-6, and tumor necrosis factor-alpha in skin of patients with fibromyalgia.
- Authors: Salemi S, Rethage J, Wollina U, Michel BA, Gay RE, Gay S, Sprott H
- Issue date: 2003 Jan