Autologous lymphocytes as vectors to target therapeutic radiation, using indium-114m, in patients with lymphoid cell malignancy.
AuthorsCowan, Richard A
Owens, Susan E
Hoyes, Katherine P
Sharma, Harbans L
Van Kessel, Bregje
Nuttall, Pamela M
AffiliationDepartment of Clinical Oncology, Christie Hospital NHS Trust, Manchester, UK. Richard.email@example.com
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAutologous lymphocytes provide a potential vector for the delivery of a cytotoxic agent in patients with lymphoid cell malignancy. This report describes a phase I-II study using autologous lymphocytes to target the radionuclide indium-114m ((114m)In) in patients with refractory chronic lymphocytic leukaemia or small lymphocytic non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. Nineteen patients, the majority of whom had been heavily pretreated with conventional chemotherapy and radiotherapy, received between 69 and 211 MBq (114m)In-labelled autologous lymphocytes. Approximately 80% of the administered activity was localized in the liver and spleen, with around 5% accumulating in the bone marrow. Ten patients (53%) responded (one complete response and nine partial responses). The median duration of response was 7 months. The median survival for the responders was 14 months and for the non-responders was 3 months. The first notable response in every patient was a fall in peripheral lymphocyte count. The indium treatment was not associated with any subjective toxicity, although all patients suffered from myelosuppression, with thrombocytopenia being the dose-limiting factor. This study has demonstrated a significant anti-tumour effect in a group of patients with late-stage highly resistant disease.
CitationAutologous lymphocytes as vectors to target therapeutic radiation, using indium-114m, in patients with lymphoid cell malignancy. 2002, 119 (2):459-66 Br. J. Haematol.
JournalBritish Journal of Haematology
- Treatment of lymphoid cell malignancy with In-114m labelled autologous lymphocytes.
- Authors: Sharma HL, Cowan RA, Murby B, Owens S, Nuttall PM, Gunton D, Smith AM, Chang J, Crowther D
- Issue date: 1997 May-Jun
- Bone marrow toxicity in mice treated with indium-114m-labelled blood cells.
- Authors: Hoyes KP, Wadeson PJ, Murby B, Sharma HL, Cowan RA, Lord BI
- Issue date: 2001 Dec
- The behavior of autologous indium-114m-labeled lymphocytes in patients with lymphoid cell malignancy.
- Authors: Hamilton D, Cowan RA, Sharma HL, Drayson M, Nuttall PM, Wagstaff J, Deakin DP, Crowther D
- Issue date: 1988 Apr
- Rituximab: a review of its use in non-Hodgkin's lymphoma and chronic lymphocytic leukaemia.
- Authors: Plosker GL, Figgitt DP
- Issue date: 2003
- Radiation dosimetry results and safety correlations from 90Y-ibritumomab tiuxetan radioimmunotherapy for relapsed or refractory non-Hodgkin's lymphoma: combined data from 4 clinical trials.
- Authors: Wiseman GA, Kornmehl E, Leigh B, Erwin WD, Podoloff DA, Spies S, Sparks RB, Stabin MG, Witzig T, White CA
- Issue date: 2003 Mar