AffiliationChristie Hospital NHS Trust, Manchester, United Kingdom. Bryan.Eyden@christie-tr.nwest.nhs.uk
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAn unusual leiomyosarcoma in the thigh of a 53-year-old woman is described. Tumor cells were spindled and positive for muscle immuno-markers. Some cells exhibited typical smooth-muscle ultrastructure--abundant myofilaments, focal densities, attachment plaques, plasmalemmal caveolae, and lamina. Others had fewer myofilaments and prominent rough endoplasmic reticulum. These features indicated a variable phenotype that included synthetic-phase (matrigenic) differentiation. Synthetic-phase cells were distinguished from myofibroblasts by typical smooth-muscle surface features in the absence of fibronexus junctions. In a subset of cells myofilaments were absent, but structures resembling solitary focal densities were identified. These are discussed as possible indicators of a primitive level of smooth-muscle differentiation.
CitationLeiomyosarcoma showing partial synthetic-phase differentiation., 26 (5):335-40 Ultrastruct Pathol
- Epithelioid sarcoma: a case report with ultrastructural confirmation of myofibroblastic differentiation based on fibronexus junctions.
- Authors: Eyden B, Wang G, Yao L
- Issue date: 2009 Mar-Apr
- Contribution of electron microscopy to understanding cellular differentiation in mesenchymal tumors of the gastrointestinal tract: a study of 82 tumors.
- Authors: Eyden B, Chorneyko KA, Shanks JH, Menasce LP, Banerjee SS
- Issue date: 2002 Sep-Oct
- Ossifying fibromyxoid tumor: modified myoepithelial cell tumor? Report of three cases with immunohistochemical and electron microscopic studies.
- Authors: Min KW, Seo IS, Pitha J
- Issue date: 2005 Nov-Dec
- Epithelioid leiomyosarcoma of the external deep soft tissue.
- Authors: Yamamoto T, Minami R, Ohbayashi C, Inaba M
- Issue date: 2002 Apr
- Ultrastructural observations on smooth muscle tumors.
- Authors: Mackay B, Ro J, Floyd C, Ordóñez NG
- Issue date: 1987