Malignant peripheral nerve sheath tumours in neurofibromatosis 1.
AffiliationUniversity Department of Medical Genetics, St Mary's Hospital, Manchester M13 0JH, UK. Gevans@central.cmht.nwest.nhs.uk
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBACKGROUND: Cross sectional studies have shown that 1-2% of patients with neurofibromatosis 1 (NF1) develop malignant peripheral nerve sheath tumours (MPNST). However, no population based longitudinal studies have assessed lifetime risk. METHODS: NF1 patients with MPNST were ascertained from two sources for our north west England population of 4.1 million in the 13 year period 1984-1996: the North West Regional NF1 Register and review of notes of patients with MPNST in the North West Regional Cancer Registry. RESULTS: Twenty-one NF1 patients developed MPNST, equivalent to an annual incidence of 1.6 per 1000 and a lifetime risk of 8-13%. There were 37 patients with sporadic MPNST. The median age at diagnosis of MPNST in NF1 patients was 26 years, compared to 62 years in patients with sporadic MPNST (p<0.001). In Kaplan-Meier analyses, the five year survival from diagnosis was 21% for NF1 patients with MPNST, compared to 42% for sporadic cases of MPNST (p=0.09). One NF1 patient developed two separate MPNST in the radiation field of a previous optic glioma. CONCLUSION: The lifetime risk of MPNST in NF1 is much higher than previously estimated and warrants careful surveillance and a low threshold for investigation.
CitationMalignant peripheral nerve sheath tumours in neurofibromatosis 1. 2002, 39 (5):311-4 J. Med. Genet.
JournalJournal of Medical Genetics
- Malignant peripheral nerve sheath tumours in NF1: improved survival in women and in recent years.
- Authors: Ingham S, Huson SM, Moran A, Wylie J, Leahy M, Evans DG
- Issue date: 2011 Dec
- Further evidence of the increased risk for malignant peripheral nerve sheath tumour from a Scottish cohort of patients with neurofibromatosis type 1.
- Authors: McCaughan JA, Holloway SM, Davidson R, Lam WW
- Issue date: 2007 Jul
- Malignant peripheral nerve sheath tumors (MPNST) in NF1-affected children.
- Authors: Friedrich RE, Hartmann M, Mautner VF
- Issue date: 2007 Jul-Aug
- Neurofibromatosis type 1 and sporadic optic gliomas.
- Authors: Singhal S, Birch JM, Kerr B, Lashford L, Evans DG
- Issue date: 2002 Jul
- Mortality in neurofibromatosis 1: in North West England: an assessment of actuarial survival in a region of the UK since 1989.
- Authors: Evans DG, O'Hara C, Wilding A, Ingham SL, Howard E, Dawson J, Moran A, Scott-Kitching V, Holt F, Huson SM
- Issue date: 2011 Nov