Late endocrine, metabolic and skeletal sequelae following treatment of childhood cancer.
AffiliationDepartment of Endocrinology, Christie Hospital, Wilmslow Road, Manchester, Withington, M20 4BX, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWith an ever increasing adult population of childhood cancer survivors there is a need to focus on the late effects of cancer therapy. It is essential that, after discharge from the paediatric oncologists, the patients are not lost from the health system but are under continued surveillance with access to the appropriate physicians. Endocrine and metabolic consequences may affect a patient's life both soon after cancer treatment and also for many years in the future. In this review we consider the following potential problems: growth hormone deficiency and replacement in adulthood, cardiovascular risk factors, osteopaenia, thyroid and parathyroid dysfunction.
CitationLate endocrine, metabolic and skeletal sequelae following treatment of childhood cancer. 2002, 16 (2):335-48 Best Pract. Res. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab.
JournalBest Practice & Research. Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism
- Endocrine and cardiovascular late effects among adult survivors of childhood brain tumors: Childhood Cancer Survivor Study.
- Authors: Gurney JG, Kadan-Lottick NS, Packer RJ, Neglia JP, Sklar CA, Punyko JA, Stovall M, Yasui Y, Nicholson HS, Wolden S, McNeil DE, Mertens AC, Robison LL, Childhood Cancer Survivor Study.
- Issue date: 2003 Feb 1
- Endocrine complications of neoplastic diseases in children and adolescents.
- Authors: Gleeson HK, Shalet SM
- Issue date: 2001 Aug
- The late effects of childhood cancer therapy.
- Authors: Dickerman JD
- Issue date: 2007 Mar
- Late effects of cancer treatment in children.
- Authors: Ried H, Zietz H, Jaffe N
- Issue date: 1995 Jul-Aug
- Endocrine sequelae in survivors of childhood cancer.
- Authors: Oberfield SE, Sklar CA
- Issue date: 2002 Feb