Parathyroid hormone-related peptide: expression in prostate cancer bone metastases.
AffiliationChristie and Hope Hospitals, Manchester, UK. firstname.lastname@example.org
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractParathyroid hormone-related peptide (PTHrP) is a regulatory protein associated with cell growth in non-osseous tissues and with osteoclast stimulation in bone. It has been implicated in the pathogenesis of bone metastases, particularly in breast carcinoma. PTHrP is widely expressed in primary prostate cancers, but there are few reports of its expression in prostatic metastases. The aim of this study was to examine the expression of PTHrP in bone metastases from patients with untreated adenocarcinoma of the prostate. Ten bone biopsies containing metastatic deposits of untreated prostatic cancer were identified. These were immunohistochemically stained for PTHrP using a murine monoclonal antibody (PTHLP[Ab1]) and the streptavidin-biotin complex technique. Intensity of staining for PTHrP was graded by two observers. In total, PTHrP expression was positive in 5/10 specimens. This was graded as moderate in four and weak in one. In those specimens with positive staining, the expression varied between cells. There was no obvious association between expression of PTHrP and tumour differentiation. PTHrP is expressed in prostatic bone metastases and may have a role in their pathogenesis and pathophysiology. However, expression is not universal.
CitationParathyroid hormone-related peptide: expression in prostate cancer bone metastases. 2002, 5 (1):59-62 Prostate Cancer Prostatic Dis.
JournalProstate Cancer and Prostatic Diseases
- Expression of parathyroid hormone-related protein and its receptor in bone metastases from prostate cancer.
- Authors: Iddon J, Bundred NJ, Hoyland J, Downey SE, Baird P, Salter D, McMahon R, Freemont AJ
- Issue date: 2000 Jun
- Parathyroid hormone related peptide and receptor expression in paired primary prostate cancer and bone metastases.
- Authors: Bryden AA, Hoyland JA, Freemont AJ, Clarke NW, George NJ
- Issue date: 2002 Feb 1
- Direct evidence that PTHrP expression promotes prostate cancer progression in bone.
- Authors: Deftos LJ, Barken I, Burton DW, Hoffman RM, Geller J
- Issue date: 2005 Feb 11
- Polymerase chain reaction analysis of parathyroid hormone-related protein gene expression in breast cancer patients and occurrence of bone metastases.
- Authors: Bouizar Z, Spyratos F, Deytieux S, de Vernejoul MC, Jullienne A
- Issue date: 1993 Nov 1
- Parathyroid hormone-related protein expression in the human colon: immunohistochemical evaluation.
- Authors: Malakouti S, Asadi FK, Kukreja SC, Abcarian HA, Cintron JR
- Issue date: 1996 Jul