E-cadherin and beta-catenin are down-regulated in prostatic bone metastases.
AuthorsBryden, A A G
Hoyland, Judith A
Freemont, Anthony J
Clarke, Noel W
Schembri Wismayer, D
George, Nicholas J
AffiliationChristie and Hope Hospital, University of Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractOBJECTIVE: To determine the E-cadherin and beta-catenin expression phenotype in untreated primary prostate cancer and corresponding bone metastases. MATERIALS AND METHODS: Paired bone metastasis and primary prostate specimens were obtained from 14 men with untreated metastatic prostate carcinoma. The tumours were histologically graded by an independent pathologist. Expression of mRNA for E-cadherin and beta-catenin was detected within the tumour cells using in-situ hybridization with a 35S-labelled cDNA probe. The expression of E-cadherin and beta-catenin were graded as uniform, heterogeneous or negative. RESULTS: The mRNA for E-cadherin was expressed in 13 of 14 primary carcinomas and 11 bone metastases; beta-catenin was expressed by 13 and nine, respectively. Of the primary tumours, nine expressed E-cadherin and beta-catenin uniformly; in contrast, all metastases had down-regulated E-cadherin and/or beta-catenin. CONCLUSIONS: The down-regulation of E-cadherin and beta-catenin are a feature of the metastatic phenotype, which may be a significant factor in the genesis of bone metastases. However, this does not appear to be reflected in the expression of these molecules in the primary tumours.
CitationE-cadherin and beta-catenin are down-regulated in prostatic bone metastases. 2002, 89 (4):400-3 BJU Int.
- Overexpression of E-cadherin and beta-catenin proteins in metastatic prostate cancer cells in bone.
- Authors: Saha B, Arase A, Imam SS, Tsao-Wei D, Naritoku WY, Groshen S, Jones LW, Imam SA
- Issue date: 2008 Jan 1
- E-cadherin and alpha-, beta-, and gamma-catenin protein expression is up-regulated in ovarian carcinoma cells in serous effusions.
- Authors: Davidson B, Berner A, Nesland JM, Risberg B, Berner HS, Tropè CG, Kristensen GB, Bryne M, Ann Florenes V
- Issue date: 2000 Dec
- Association of E-cadherin and beta-catenin with metastasis in nasopharyngeal carcinoma.
- Authors: Li Z, Ren Y, Lin SX, Liang YJ, Liang HZ
- Issue date: 2004 Aug
- Expression of the E-cadherin-catenin complex in lung neuroendocrine tumours.
- Authors: Clavel CE, Nollet F, Berx G, Tejpar S, Nawrocki-Raby B, Kaplan HH, van Roy FM, Birembaut PL
- Issue date: 2001 May
- Increased expression of delta-catenin/neural plakophilin-related armadillo protein is associated with the down-regulation and redistribution of E-cadherin and p120ctn in human prostate cancer.
- Authors: Lu Q, Dobbs LJ, Gregory CW, Lanford GW, Revelo MP, Shappell S, Chen YH
- Issue date: 2005 Oct