Phase II study of irinotecan with bolus and high dose infusional 5-FU and folinic acid (modified de Gramont) for first or second line treatment of advanced or metastatic colorectal cancer.
AffiliationRoyal Free and University College Medical School, UCL, London, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe investigated the activity of irinotecan given with a more convenient modified bimonthly de Gramont regimen of bolus and infusional 5-fluorouracil [IrMdG] in advanced or metastatic colorectal cancer in the first and second line setting. Irinotecan 180 mg m(-2) was infused over 90 min. L-folinic acid 175 mg or d,l folinic acid 350 mg was given over 2 h followed by a bolus of 5-fluorouracil (400 mg m(-2)) and a 46 h continuous infusion of 5-fluorouracil (2.4-2.8 g m(-2)). Forty-six previously untreated patients (Group A) and 36 who had received 5-fluorouracil for metastatic disease (Group B) were recruited. Seventy-eight patients were evaluable for response. A partial response was seen in 13 out of 43 (30% [95%CI 28.1-31.9%]) in Group A and 8/35 (23% [95% CI 17.9-28.1%]) in Group B. 40% (95%CI 38.1-41.9%) of Group A and 26% (95% CI 20.9-31.1%) of Group B patients achieved disease stabilisation. The median progression free survival from the start of this treatment was 7 months (95% CI 4.4-9.6 months) in Group A and 5 months (95% CI 2.8-7.2 months) in Group B. Median overall survival was 14 months (95% CI 9.0-18.9) in Group A and 11 months (95% CI 5.9-16.1) in Group B. Grade 3-4 toxicity in both treatment groups were similar; leucopenia 17% and diarrhoea 7-8%. Grade 3-4 mucositis was not seen and severe alopecia affected only three patients. IrMdG is an active and well-tolerated regimen for both the first and second line treatment of advanced colorectal cancer.
CitationPhase II study of irinotecan with bolus and high dose infusional 5-FU and folinic acid (modified de Gramont) for first or second line treatment of advanced or metastatic colorectal cancer. 2002, 87 (11):1216-20 Br. J. Cancer
JournalBritish Journal of Cancer
- Phase I/II study of first-line irinotecan combined with 5-fluorouracil and folinic acid Mayo Clinic schedule in patients with advanced colorectal cancer.
- Authors: Kuehr T, Ruff P, Rapoport BL, Falk S, Daniel F, Jacobs C, Davidson N, Thaler J, Boussard B, Carmichael J
- Issue date: 2004 Jul 16
- Biweekly oxaliplatin plus irinotecan and folinic acid-modulated 5-fluorouracil: a phase II study in pretreated patients with metastatic colorectal cancer.
- Authors: Comella P, Massidda B, Palmeri S, Putzu C, De Rosa V, Izzo F, Fiore F, Casaretti R, Sandomenico C
- Issue date: 2006 Sep
- Irinotecan plus fluorouracil and leucovorin for metastatic colorectal cancer. Irinotecan Study Group.
- Authors: Saltz LB, Cox JV, Blanke C, Rosen LS, Fehrenbacher L, Moore MJ, Maroun JA, Ackland SP, Locker PK, Pirotta N, Elfring GL, Miller LL
- Issue date: 2000 Sep 28
- A phase II study of irinotecan alternated with a weekly schedule of oxaliplatin, high-dose leucovorin and 48-hour infusion 5-fluorouracil in patients with advanced colorectal cancer.
- Authors: Rosati G, Tucci A, Rinaldi A, Colarusso D, Pizza C, Reggiardo G, Manzione L
- Issue date: 2004
- Efficacy and safety of an irinotecan plus bolus 5-fluorouracil and L-leucovorin regimen for metastatic colorectal cancer in Japanese patients: experience in a single institution in Japan.
- Authors: Yoshino T, Boku N, Onozawa Y, Hironaka S, Fukutomi A, Yamaguchi Y, Hasuike N, Yamazaki K, Machida N, Ono H
- Issue date: 2007 Sep