Phase II study of irinotecan with bolus and high dose infusional 5-FU and folinic acid (modified de Gramont) for first or second line treatment of advanced or metastatic colorectal cancer.
AffiliationRoyal Free and University College Medical School, UCL, London, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe investigated the activity of irinotecan given with a more convenient modified bimonthly de Gramont regimen of bolus and infusional 5-fluorouracil [IrMdG] in advanced or metastatic colorectal cancer in the first and second line setting. Irinotecan 180 mg m(-2) was infused over 90 min. L-folinic acid 175 mg or d,l folinic acid 350 mg was given over 2 h followed by a bolus of 5-fluorouracil (400 mg m(-2)) and a 46 h continuous infusion of 5-fluorouracil (2.4-2.8 g m(-2)). Forty-six previously untreated patients (Group A) and 36 who had received 5-fluorouracil for metastatic disease (Group B) were recruited. Seventy-eight patients were evaluable for response. A partial response was seen in 13 out of 43 (30% [95%CI 28.1-31.9%]) in Group A and 8/35 (23% [95% CI 17.9-28.1%]) in Group B. 40% (95%CI 38.1-41.9%) of Group A and 26% (95% CI 20.9-31.1%) of Group B patients achieved disease stabilisation. The median progression free survival from the start of this treatment was 7 months (95% CI 4.4-9.6 months) in Group A and 5 months (95% CI 2.8-7.2 months) in Group B. Median overall survival was 14 months (95% CI 9.0-18.9) in Group A and 11 months (95% CI 5.9-16.1) in Group B. Grade 3-4 toxicity in both treatment groups were similar; leucopenia 17% and diarrhoea 7-8%. Grade 3-4 mucositis was not seen and severe alopecia affected only three patients. IrMdG is an active and well-tolerated regimen for both the first and second line treatment of advanced colorectal cancer.
CitationPhase II study of irinotecan with bolus and high dose infusional 5-FU and folinic acid (modified de Gramont) for first or second line treatment of advanced or metastatic colorectal cancer. 2002, 87 (11):1216-20 Br. J. Cancer
JournalBritish Journal of Cancer
- Prospective multicenter phase II study of irinotecan as third-line therapy in metastatic colorectal cancer and progression after bolus and infusional 5-fluorouracil.
- Authors: Hartmann JT, Oechsle K, Jäger E, Reis HE, Haag C, Niederle N, Wilke HJ, Pflüger KH, Batran SA, Büchele T, Hofheinz RD, Kanz L, Bokemeyer C
- Issue date: 2004 Jun
- Phase I/II study of first-line irinotecan combined with 5-fluorouracil and folinic acid Mayo Clinic schedule in patients with advanced colorectal cancer.
- Authors: Kuehr T, Ruff P, Rapoport BL, Falk S, Daniel F, Jacobs C, Davidson N, Thaler J, Boussard B, Carmichael J
- Issue date: 2004 Jul 16
- A randomized phase II trial of irinotecan in combination with infusional or two different bolus 5-fluorouracil and folinic acid regimens as first-line therapy for advanced colorectal cancer.
- Authors: Bouzid K, Khalfallah S, Tujakowski J, Piko B, Purkalne G, Plate S, Padrik P, Serafy M, Pshevloutsky EM, Boussard B, Irinotecan Study Group.
- Issue date: 2003 Jul
- A randomized phase III multicenter trial comparing irinotecan in combination with the Nordic bolus 5-FU and folinic acid schedule or the bolus/infused de Gramont schedule (Lv5FU2) in patients with metastatic colorectal cancer.
- Authors: Glimelius B, Sørbye H, Balteskard L, Byström P, Pfeiffer P, Tveit K, Heikkilä R, Keldsen N, Albertsson M, Starkhammar H, Garmo H, Berglund A
- Issue date: 2008 May
- Biweekly oxaliplatin plus irinotecan and folinic acid-modulated 5-fluorouracil: a phase II study in pretreated patients with metastatic colorectal cancer.
- Authors: Comella P, Massidda B, Palmeri S, Putzu C, De Rosa V, Izzo F, Fiore F, Casaretti R, Sandomenico C
- Issue date: 2006 Sep