AuthorsLivsey, Jacqueline E
Routledge, Jacqueline A
Burns, Meriel P
Davidson, Susan E
Cowan, Richard A
Logue, John P
Wylie, James P
AffiliationDepartment of Clinical Oncology, Christie Hospital NHS Trust, Wilmslow Road, Withington, Manchester M20 4BX, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBACKGROUND AND PURPOSE: To assess the correlation between different general and organ specific quality of life and morbidity scoring methods in a cohort of men treated with radical radiotherapy for prostate cancer. MATERIALS AND METHODS: Men who had been treated with radical radiotherapy (50 Gy in 16 fractions over 21 days) for localized prostate cancer more than 3 years previously and who had no evidence of recurrent disease were invited to take part in the study. A total of 101 of 135 invited patients agreed and completed LENT/SOMA, UCLA Prostate Cancer Index, and 36 item RAND Health survey questionnaires. RESULTS: The patients had comparable results with other published series with respect to the UCLA and SF-36 indices. There was significant correlation between the corresponding parts of the UCLA and LENT/SOMA scales (P<0.0005). However, for the same symptoms, a patient tended to score lower (worse) on the UCLA scale in comparison to LENT/SOMA. The relationship between the average LENT/SOMA score and maximum score was also not straightforward with each set of data revealing different information. CONCLUSIONS: The LENT/SOMA questions were, in the main, more wide-ranging and informative than the UCLA index. It is helpful to give both the overall and maximum LENT/SOMA scores to most efficiently use all of the data. There may need to be a further LENT/SOMA question to allow both symptoms of tenesmus and faecal urgency to be fully addressed.
CitationScoring of treatment-related late effects in prostate cancer. 2002, 65 (2):109-21 Radiother Oncol
JournalRadiotherapy and Oncology
- Late radiation effects to the rectum and anus after treatment for prostate cancer; validity of the LENT/SOMA score.
- Authors: Lund JÅ, Kaasa S, Wibe A, Widmark A, Fransson P
- Issue date: 2013 May
- Analysis linking UCLA PCI with Expanded Prostate Cancer Index Composite: an evaluation of health related quality of life in Japanese men with localized prostate cancer.
- Authors: Namiki S, Takegami M, Kakehi Y, Suzukamo Y, Fukuhara S, Arai Y
- Issue date: 2007 Aug
- Assessment of morbidity in carcinoma of the cervix: a comparison of the LENT SOMA scales and the Franco-Italian glossary.
- Authors: Davidson SE, Burns MP, Routledge JA, Swindell R, Bentzen SM, West CM
- Issue date: 2003 Nov
- Long-term morbidity and quality of life in patients with localized prostate cancer undergoing definitive radiotherapy or radical prostatectomy.
- Authors: Lilleby W, Fosså SD, Waehre HR, Olsen DR
- Issue date: 1999 Mar 1
- Phase III pilot study of dose escalation using conformal radiotherapy in prostate cancer: PSA control and side effects.
- Authors: Dearnaley DP, Hall E, Lawrence D, Huddart RA, Eeles R, Nutting CM, Gadd J, Warrington A, Bidmead M, Horwich A
- Issue date: 2005 Feb 14