Semen cryopreservation, utilisation and reproductive outcome in men treated for Hodgkin's disease.
AuthorsBlackhall, Fiona H
Atkinson, A D
Maaya, M B
Ryder, W David J
Brison, Daniel R
Lieberman, B A
Radford, John A
AffiliationCancer Research UK Department of Medical Oncology, Christie Hospital NHS Trust, Wilmslow Road, Manchester M20 4BX, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBetween 1978 and 1990, 122 men underwent semen analysis before starting sterilising chemotherapy for Hodgkin's disease. Eighty-one (66%) had semen quality within the normal range, 25 were oligospermic (<20 x 10(6) sperm per ml) and five were azoospermic (no sperm in the ejaculate). Semen from 115 men was cryopreserved and after a median follow-up time of 10.1 years, 33 men have utilised stored semen (actuarial rate 27%) and nine partners have become pregnant resulting in 11 live births and one termination for foetal malformation. Actuarial 10 year rates of destruction of semen before death or utilisation and death before utilisation are 19% and 13% respectively. This retrospective cohort study demonstrates that approximately one-quarter of men utilising cryopreserved semen after treatment for Hodgkin's disease obtain a live birth. The high non-utilisation rate is intriguing and warrants further investigation.
CitationSemen cryopreservation, utilisation and reproductive outcome in men treated for Hodgkin's disease. 2002, 87 (4):381-4 Br. J. Cancer
JournalBritish Journal of Cancer
- Cryopreservation and semen quality in patients with Hodgkin's disease.
- Authors: Shekarriz M, Tolentino MV Jr, Ayzman I, Lee JC, Thomas AJ Jr, Agarwal A
- Issue date: 1995 Jun 1
- Semen cryopreservation and artificial insemination for Hodgkin's disease.
- Authors: Redman JR, Bajorunas DR, Goldstein MC, Evenson DP, Gralla RJ, Lacher MJ, Koziner B, Lee BJ, Straus DJ, Clarkson BD
- Issue date: 1987 Feb
- Characteristics of cryopreserved semen from men with lymphoma.
- Authors: Hallak J, Mahran AM, Agarwal A
- Issue date: 2000 Nov
- Use rate and assisted reproduction technologies outcome of cryopreserved semen from 629 cancer patients.
- Authors: van Casteren NJ, van Santbrink EJ, van Inzen W, Romijn JC, Dohle GR
- Issue date: 2008 Dec
- [Quality of cryopreserved ejaculate in Hodgkin disease].
- Authors: Schmiegelow M, Hansen MM, Nielsen NC
- Issue date: 1995 Mar 13