Parathyroid hormone related peptide and receptor expression in paired primary prostate cancer and bone metastases.
AffiliationChristie Hospital, Wilmslow Road, Manchester M20 4BX, UK. firstname.lastname@example.org
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractParathyroid hormone-related peptide is a regulatory protein implicated in the pathogenesis of bone metastases, particularly in breast carcinoma. Parathyroid hormone-related peptide is widely expressed in primary prostate cancers but there are few reports of its expression in prostatic metastases. The aim of this study was to examine the expression of parathyroid hormone-related peptide and its receptor in matched primary and in bone metastatic tissue from patients with untreated adenocarcinoma of the prostate. Eight-millimetre trephine iliac crest bone biopsies containing metastatic prostate cancer were obtained from 14 patients from whom matched primary tumour tissue was also available. Histological grading was performed by an independent pathologist. The cellular location of mRNA for parathyroid hormone-related peptide and parathyroid hormone-related peptide receptor was identified using in situ hybridization with (35)S-labelled probe. Expression of parathyroid hormone-related peptide and its receptor was described as uniform, heterogenous or negative within the tumour cell population. Parathyroid hormone-related peptide expression was positive in 13 out of 14 primary tumours and in all 14 metastases. Receptor expression was evident in all 14 primaries and 12 out of 14 metastases. Co-expression of parathyroid hormone-related peptide and parathyroid hormone-related peptide receptor was common (13 primary tumours, 12 metastases). The co-expression of parathyroid hormone-related peptide and its receptor suggest that autocrine parathyroid hormone-related peptide mediated stimulation may be a mechanism of escape from normal growth regulatory pathways. The high frequency of parathyroid hormone-related peptide expression in metastases is consistent with a role in the pathogenesis of bone metastases.
CitationParathyroid hormone related peptide and receptor expression in paired primary prostate cancer and bone metastases. 2002, 86 (3):322-5 Br. J. Cancer
JournalBritish Journal of Cancer
- Parathyroid hormone-related peptide: expression in prostate cancer bone metastases.
- Authors: Bryden AA, Islam S, Freemont AJ, Shanks JH, George NJ, Clarke NW
- Issue date: 2002
- Expression of parathyroid hormone-related protein and its receptor in bone metastases from prostate cancer.
- Authors: Iddon J, Bundred NJ, Hoyland J, Downey SE, Baird P, Salter D, McMahon R, Freemont AJ
- Issue date: 2000 Jun
- Parathyroid hormone-related protein as a growth regulator of prostate carcinoma.
- Authors: Dougherty KM, Blomme EA, Koh AJ, Henderson JE, Pienta KJ, Rosol TJ, McCauley LK
- Issue date: 1999 Dec 1
- Expression of the receptor for parathyroid hormone-related protein in normal and malignant breast tissue.
- Authors: Downey SE, Hoyland J, Freemont AJ, Knox F, Walls J, Bundred NJ
- Issue date: 1997 Oct
- The parathyroid hormone-related protein receptor is expressed in breast cancer bone metastases and promotes autocrine proliferation in breast carcinoma cells.
- Authors: Hoey RP, Sanderson C, Iddon J, Brady G, Bundred NJ, Anderson NG
- Issue date: 2003 Feb 24