Transient response to imatinib mesylate (STI571) in a patient with the ETV6-ABL t(9;12) translocation.
AuthorsO'Brien, Stephen G
Vieira, Sara A D
Melo, Junia V
AffiliationSchool of Clinical and Laboratory Sciences and the School of Biochemistry and Genetics, University of Newcastle, United Kingdom. firstname.lastname@example.org
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe report the transient response of a patient with the ETV6-ABL fusion gene to imatinib mesylate (STI571). A 38-year-old man was referred with an erroneous diagnosis of Philadelphia-positive chronic myeloid leukemia in blastic transformation for treatment with the ABL tyrosine kinase inhibitor, STI571. Further investigation indicated that the patient in fact had acute myeloid leukemia; no evidence of the Philadelphia translocation or BCR-ABL was found using fluorescence in situ hybridization (FISH) or reverse transcription-polymerase chain reaction. Detailed FISH analysis identified a cryptic t(9;12) translocation, and molecular studies confirmed the presence of the ETV6-ABL fusion transcript. Because the patient was gravely ill at presentation, treatment was commenced immediately with STI571 monotherapy, resulting in considerable initial improvement. However within 10 days the patient's condition again deteriorated, and he required conventional chemotherapy. This case has implications for the design of future studies using STI571 in leukemias involving ABL-encoded fusion proteins other than BCR-ABL.
CitationTransient response to imatinib mesylate (STI571) in a patient with the ETV6-ABL t(9;12) translocation. 2002, 99 (9):3465-7 Blood
- BCR/ABL-negative chronic myeloid leukemia with ETV6/ABL fusion.
- Authors: Andreasson P, Johansson B, Carlsson M, Jarlsfelt I, Fioretos T, Mitelman F, Höglund M
- Issue date: 1997 Nov
- Persistence of malignant hematopoietic progenitors in chronic myelogenous leukemia patients in complete cytogenetic remission following imatinib mesylate treatment.
- Authors: Bhatia R, Holtz M, Niu N, Gray R, Snyder DS, Sawyers CL, Arber DA, Slovak ML, Forman SJ
- Issue date: 2003 Jun 15
- Fusion of EML1 to ABL1 in T-cell acute lymphoblastic leukemia with cryptic t(9;14)(q34;q32).
- Authors: De Keersmaecker K, Graux C, Odero MD, Mentens N, Somers R, Maertens J, Wlodarska I, Vandenberghe P, Hagemeijer A, Marynen P, Cools J
- Issue date: 2005 Jun 15
- Overexpression of SOCS-2 in advanced stages of chronic myeloid leukemia: possible inadequacy of a negative feedback mechanism.
- Authors: Schultheis B, Carapeti-Marootian M, Hochhaus A, Weisser A, Goldman JM, Melo JV
- Issue date: 2002 Mar 1
- In vitro effects of STI 571-containing drug combinations on the growth of Philadelphia-positive chronic myelogenous leukemia cells.
- Authors: Scappini B, Onida F, Kantarjian HM, Dong L, Verstovsek S, Keating MJ, Beran M
- Issue date: 2002 May 15