Interactions between GH, IGF-I, glucocorticoids, and thyroid hormones during skeletal growth.
AffiliationDepartment of Clinical Research, Christie Hospital National Health Service Trust, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractLinear growth occurs during development and the childhood years until epiphyseal fusion occurs. This process results from endochondral ossification in the growth plates of long bones and is regulated by systemic hormones and paracrine or autocrine factors. The major regulators of developmental and childhood growth are GH, IGF-I, glucocorticoids, and thyroid hormone. Sex steroids are responsible for the pubertal growth spurt and epiphyseal fusion. This review will consider interactions between GH, IGF-I, glucocorticoids, and thyroid hormone during linear growth. It is well known from physiologic and clinical studies that these hormones interact at the level of the hypothalamus and pituitary. Interacting effects on peripheral tissues such as liver are also well understood, but we concentrate here on the epiphyseal growth plate as an important and newly appreciated target organ for convergent hormone action.
CitationInteractions between GH, IGF-I, glucocorticoids, and thyroid hormones during skeletal growth. 2002, 52 (2):137-47 Pediatr. Res.
- Hormonal regulation of longitudinal bone growth.
- Authors: Nilsson A, Ohlsson C, Isaksson OG, Lindahl A, Isgaard J
- Issue date: 1994 Feb
- The effects of oestrogens on linear bone growth.
- Authors: Juul A
- Issue date: 2001 May-Jun
- Cloning and characterization of cDNAs for hormones and/or receptors of growth hormone, insulin-like growth factor-I, thyroid hormone, and corticosteroid and the gender-, tissue-, and developmental-specific expression of their mRNA transcripts in fathead minnow (Pimephales promelas).
- Authors: Filby AL, Tyler CR
- Issue date: 2007 Jan 1
- Glucocorticoids, thyroid hormone and growth hormone interactions: implications for the growth plate.
- Authors: Siebler T, Robson H, Shalet SM, Williams GR
- Issue date: 2001
- A transgenic model to determine the physiological role of liver-derived insulin-like growth factor I.
- Authors: Sjögren K, Jansson JO, Isaksson OG, Ohlsson C
- Issue date: 2002 Dec