Effect of temozolomide on central nervous system relapse in patients with advanced melanoma.
AuthorsPaul, M J
Summers, Yvonne J
Calvert, A Hilary
Rustin, G J
Middleton, Mark R
AffiliationCancer Research UK Department of Medical Oncology, Christie Hospital NHS Trust, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractTemozolomide has shown efficacy in the treatment of metastatic melanoma similar to that of dacarbazine (DTIC), the standard chemotherapy, but with the added benefit of penetration into the central nervous system (CNS). Isolated CNS relapse is increasingly a problem for patients who respond to biochemotherapy. By replacing DTIC with temozolomide in treatment regimens, the incidence of CNS relapse might be reduced. This hypothesis is difficult to test in a prospective randomized controlled trial because of the large number of patients that would be required. We have examined this question in a retrospective case control study, observing the rates of CNS relapse in advanced metastatic melanoma patients responding to DTIC- or temozolomide-based chemotherapy in three institutions. Twenty-one DTIC and 20 temozolomide responders were identified, and have been followed up for a median of 19.0 months (range 6.0-74.3 months). CNS relapse occurred in nine DTIC- and two temozolomide-treated patients, a statistically significant difference in favour of the new agent (P = 0.03). These results support the investigation of temozolomide as a replacement for DTIC in systemic treatment regimens for melanoma.
CitationEffect of temozolomide on central nervous system relapse in patients with advanced melanoma. 2002, 12 (2):175-8 Melanoma Res.
- A phase II pilot trial of concurrent biochemotherapy with cisplatin, vinblastine, temozolomide, interleukin 2, and IFN-alpha 2B in patients with metastatic melanoma.
- Authors: Atkins MB, Gollob JA, Sosman JA, McDermott DF, Tutin L, Sorokin P, Parker RA, Mier JW
- Issue date: 2002 Oct
- Randomized phase III study of temozolomide versus dacarbazine in the treatment of patients with advanced metastatic malignant melanoma.
- Authors: Middleton MR, Grob JJ, Aaronson N, Fierlbeck G, Tilgen W, Seiter S, Gore M, Aamdal S, Cebon J, Coates A, Dreno B, Henz M, Schadendorf D, Kapp A, Weiss J, Fraass U, Statkevich P, Muller M, Thatcher N
- Issue date: 2000 Jan
- Health-related quality of life in patients with advanced metastatic melanoma: results of a randomized phase III study comparing temozolomide with dacarbazine.
- Authors: Kiebert GM, Jonas DL, Middleton MR
- Issue date: 2003
- Temozolomide and whole brain irradiation in melanoma metastatic to the brain: a phase II trial of the Cytokine Working Group.
- Authors: Margolin K, Atkins B, Thompson A, Ernstoff S, Weber J, Flaherty L, Clark I, Weiss G, Sosman J, II Smith W, Dutcher P, Gollob J, Longmate J, Johnson D
- Issue date: 2002 Apr
- Temozolomide for Treating Malignant Melanoma.
- Authors: Li RH, Hou XY, Yang CS, Liu WL, Tang JQ, Liu YQ, Jiang G
- Issue date: 2015 Sep