Cerebral metastasis and other cerebral events in women with ovarian cancer.
AffiliationDepartment of Clinical Radiology and Medical Oncology, St James's University Hospital, Leeds, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAIM: To determine the incidence, imaging findings and prognostic significance of cerebral metastases and other cerebral events in women with ovarian cancer. METHOD: A 5-year retrospective review of all women with ovarian cancer who had cranial imaging was undertaken at two major gynaecological oncology centers. RESULTS: Of 1222 women under clinical review, 78 underwent cranial imaging and 13 (1.1%) had cerebral metastasis. Computed tomography (CT) was diagnostic of parenchymal disease in 12 and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) showed leptomeningeal disease in two. The women were aged between 23 and 73 years and all had stage III or IV disease at presentation. Cerebral metastasis occurred at 6-60 months from initial diagnosis, with death occurring predominantly within 12 months, but with five survivors at 4-45 months. Of the remaining 65 women, 10 had cerebrovascular disease and three had unrelated lesions. CONCLUSION: Cerebral metastasis remains a rare event in women with ovarian cancer but may be an isolated late event associated with survival beyond a year after neurosurgery and chemotherapy. CT should be the first investigation as the incidence of cerebrovascular disease is similar to that of metastatic disease.
CitationCerebral metastasis and other cerebral events in women with ovarian cancer. 2002, 57 (9):815-9 Clin Radiol
- Brain metastases in breast cancer: prognostic factors and management.
- Authors: Lee SS, Ahn JH, Kim MK, Sym SJ, Gong G, Ahn SD, Kim SB, Kim WK
- Issue date: 2008 Oct
- Brain metastases from epithelial ovarian cancer. The Hellenic Cooperative Oncology Group (HeCOG) experience and review of the literature.
- Authors: Pectasides D, Aravantinos G, Fountzilas G, Kalofonos C, Efstathiou E, Karina M, Pavlidis N, Farmakis D, Economopoulos T, Dimopoulos MA
- Issue date: 2005 Sep-Oct
- The accurate staging of ovarian cancer using 3T magnetic resonance imaging--a realistic option.
- Authors: Booth SJ, Turnbull LW, Poole DR, Richmond I
- Issue date: 2008 Jun
- Brain recurrences in patients with ovarian cancer: report of 12 cases and review of the literature.
- Authors: Gadducci A, Tana R, Teti G, Fanucchi A, Pasqualetti F, Cionini L, Genazzani AR
- Issue date: 2007 Nov-Dec
- Brain metastasis as a late manifestation of ovarian carcinoma.
- Authors: Chen YL, Cheng WF, Hsieh CY, Chen CA
- Issue date: 2011 Jan