The Src-selective kinase inhibitor PP1 also inhibits Kit and Bcr-Abl tyrosine kinases.
AffiliationDepartment of Haematology, Royal Free and University College Medical School, 98 Chenies Mews, London WC1E 6HX, United Kingdom.
MetadataShow full item record
Abstract4-amino-5-(4-methylphenyl)-7-(t-butyl)pyrazolo[3,4-d]- pyrimidine (PP1) was identified as an Src-selective tyrosine kinase inhibitor and has been used extensively to investigate signaling pathways involving Src kinases, including events downstream of the stem cell factor (SCF) receptor c-Kit. While investigating the role of Src kinases in SCF signaling, we found that PP1 completely abrogated the proliferation of M07e cells in response to SCF. PP1 inhibited SCF-induced c-Kit autophosphorylation in intact cells and blocked the activation of mitogen-activated protein kinase and Akt. In vitro kinase assays using immunoprecipitated c-Kit confirmed direct inhibition by PP1. SCF-induced c-Kit phosphorylation was also inhibited by the related inhibitor 4-amino-5- (4-chlorophenyl)-7-(t-butyl)pyrazolo[3,4-d]-pyrimidine (PP2) and by STI571 but not by the Src inhibitor SU6656. PP1 inhibited the activity of mutant constitutively active forms of c-Kit (D814V and D814Y) found in mast cell disorders, and triggered apoptosis in the rat basophilic leukemia cell line RBL-2H3 that expresses mutant c-Kit. In addition, PP1 (and PP2) inhibited the in vitro kinase activity and autophosphorylation in whole cells of p210 Bcr-Abl. PP1 reduced the constitutive activation of signal transducer and activators of transcription 5 and mitogen-activated protein kinase and triggered apoptosis in FDCP1 cells expressing Bcr-Abl. These results have implications for the use of PP1 in investigating intracellular signaling and suggest that PP1 or related compounds may be useful in the treatment of malignant diseases associated with dysregulated c-Kit or Abl tyrosine kinase activity.
CitationThe Src-selective kinase inhibitor PP1 also inhibits Kit and Bcr-Abl tyrosine kinases. 2003, 278 (7):4847-53 J. Biol. Chem.
JournalThe Journal of Biological Chemistry
- Lck associates with and is activated by Kit in a small cell lung cancer cell line: inhibition of SCF-mediated growth by the Src family kinase inhibitor PP1.
- Authors: Krystal GW, DeBerry CS, Linnekin D, Litz J
- Issue date: 1998 Oct 15
- Selective pyrrolo-pyrimidine inhibitors reveal a necessary role for Src family kinases in Bcr-Abl signal transduction and oncogenesis.
- Authors: Wilson MB, Schreiner SJ, Choi HJ, Kamens J, Smithgall TE
- Issue date: 2002 Nov 21
- Abl protein-tyrosine kinase inhibitor STI571 inhibits in vitro signal transduction mediated by c-kit and platelet-derived growth factor receptors.
- Authors: Buchdunger E, Cioffi CL, Law N, Stover D, Ohno-Jones S, Druker BJ, Lydon NB
- Issue date: 2000 Oct
- Src family-selective tyrosine kinase inhibitor, PP1, inhibits both Fc epsilonRI- and Thy-1-mediated activation of rat basophilic leukemia cells.
- Authors: Amoui M, Dráber P, Dráberová L
- Issue date: 1997 Aug
- Dual-specific Src and Abl kinase inhibitors, PP1 and CGP76030, inhibit growth and survival of cells expressing imatinib mesylate-resistant Bcr-Abl kinases.
- Authors: Warmuth M, Simon N, Mitina O, Mathes R, Fabbro D, Manley PW, Buchdunger E, Forster K, Moarefi I, Hallek M
- Issue date: 2003 Jan 15