Evaluation of the LENT-SOMA scales for the prospective assessment of treatment morbidity in cervical carcinoma.
AuthorsRoutledge, Jacqueline A
Burns, Meriel P
Khoo, Vincent S
West, Catharine M L
Davidson, Susan E
AffiliationDepartment of Clinical Oncology, Christie Hospital NHS Trust, Manchester, United Kingdom.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPURPOSE: To examine the Late Effects Normal Tissue Task Force (LENT)-Subjective, Objective, Management, Analytic (SOMA) scales prospectively in carcinoma of the cervix treated curatively with radiotherapy (RT) using interviews and postal questionnaires and to test the sensitivity of the scales in assessing the radiation effects. METHODS AND MATERIALS: A consecutive series of 100 patients completed questionnaires to score the subjective part of the published LENT-SOMA scales. Assessments were made before RT and at approximately 21, 70, 200, 400, 600, and 800 days after the start of treatment. The acceptability and feasibility of using the scales was examined using compliance in completion of the questionnaires. The scales were validated by evaluating the concordance of data obtained by two independent scorers and by examining the ability of the scales to measure radiation-related symptoms. RESULTS: Questionnaires were completed for 89 patients before RT. The level of noncompliance was 11%. The concordance between scores when two people completed the questionnaires independently was excellent. Subjective subsite scores were highest 21 days after treatment but generally fell by 70 days. The average baseline overall LENT-SOMA subjective scores increased with advancing stage (p = 0.008) and were higher for patients treated with RT alone (p = 0.044). CONCLUSION: In cervical carcinoma, the LENT-SOMA scales were acceptable and feasible to administer in the clinic and appropriate in the measurement of early subjective morbidity from RT.
CitationEvaluation of the LENT-SOMA scales for the prospective assessment of treatment morbidity in cervical carcinoma. 2003, 56 (2):502-10 Int. J. Radiat. Oncol. Biol. Phys.
JournalInternational Journal of Radiation Oncology, Biology, Physics
- Assessment of morbidity in carcinoma of the cervix: a comparison of the LENT SOMA scales and the Franco-Italian glossary.
- Authors: Davidson SE, Burns MP, Routledge JA, Swindell R, Bentzen SM, West CM
- Issue date: 2003 Nov
- The impact of radiotherapy for carcinoma of the cervix on sexual function assessed using the LENT SOMA scales.
- Authors: Davidson SE, Burns MP, Routledge JA, Swindell R
- Issue date: 2003 Sep
- Late radiation effects to the rectum and bladder in gynecologic cancer patients: the comparison of LENT/SOMA and RTOG/EORTC late-effects scoring systems.
- Authors: Anacak Y, Yalman D, Ozsaran Z, Haydaroğlu A
- Issue date: 2001 Aug 1
- [Conservative treatment of extremity soft tissue sarcomas. Functional evaluation using LENT-SOMA scales and Enneking scoring].
- Authors: Tawfiq N, Lagarde P, Stöckle E, Thomas L, Bui BN, Kantor G
- Issue date: 2000 Nov-Dec
- Increasing the rate of late toxicity by changing the score? A comparison of RTOG/EORTC and LENT/SOMA scores.
- Authors: Hoeller U, Tribius S, Kuhlmey A, Grader K, Fehlauer F, Alberti W
- Issue date: 2003 Mar 15