Raltitrexed plus radiotherapy for the treatment of unresectable/recurrent rectal cancer: a phase I study.
AffiliationThe Kent Oncology Centre, Maidstone Hospital, UK. firstname.lastname@example.org
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBACKGROUND: Current consensus is that a combination of radiotherapy and chemotherapy may provide the optimal treatment for patients with unresectable rectal cancer. Raltitrexed has proven efficacy in the treatment of advanced colorectal cancer and has an acceptable toxicity profile. The aim of this phase I study was to determine the recommended dose of raltitrexed in combination with radiotherapy in patients with unresectable/recurrent rectal cancer. PATIENTS AND METHODS: Patients were treated with radiotherapy (25 fractions at 2.0 Gy per fraction) five times per week for 5 weeks. Raltitrexed was administered on days 1 and 22 at 2.0, 2.6 and 3.0 mg/m(2). RESULTS: A total of 20 patients were entered into the study. Dose-limiting toxicities were recorded in three of 20 patients following the first dose of raltitrexed; one patient at 2.6 mg/m(2) (grade 3 diarrhoea, grade 3 neutropenia and grade 2 pyrexia) and two patients at 3.0 mg/m(2) (one grade 3 neutropenia and one grade 4 diarrhoea). The most common non-haematological and haematological treatment-related adverse events were diarrhoea (11 of 20, two grade 3, one grade 4) and leukopenia (eight of 20, one grade 3, one grade 4), respectively. CONCLUSIONS: The recommended dose of raltitrexed in combination with radiotherapy for future studies is 2.6 mg/m(2).
CitationRaltitrexed plus radiotherapy for the treatment of unresectable/recurrent rectal cancer: a phase I study. 2003, 14 (4):570-3 Ann. Oncol.
JournalAnnals of Oncology
- Raltitrexed ('Tomudex') and radiotherapy can be combined as postoperative treatment for rectal cancer.
- Authors: Botwood N, James R, Vernon C, Price P
- Issue date: 2000 Aug
- Raltitrexed and radiotherapy as adjuvant treatment for stage II-III rectal cancer: a feasibility study.
- Authors: Lupattelli M, Maranzano E, Bellavita R, Natalini G, Corgna E, Rossetti R, Trippa F, Mascioni F, Sidoni A, Anselmo P, Buzzi F, Brugia M, Latini P
- Issue date: 2005 Nov-Dec
- Oxaliplatin with raltitrexed and preoperative radiotherapy in T3-T4 extraperitoneal rectal cancer. A dose finding study.
- Authors: Lupattelli M, Bellavita R, Natalini G, Giovenali P, Sidoni A, Castagnoli P, Corgna E, Draghini L, Trippolini R, Aristei C
- Issue date: 2006 Nov-Dec
- Preoperative hyperfractionated chemoradiation for locally recurrent rectal cancer in patients previously irradiated to the pelvis: A multicentric phase II study.
- Authors: Valentini V, Morganti AG, Gambacorta MA, Mohiuddin M, Doglietto GB, Coco C, De Paoli A, Rossi C, Di Russo A, Valvo F, Bolzicco G, Dalla Palma M, Study Group for Therapies of Rectal Malignancies (STORM).
- Issue date: 2006 Mar 15
- Preoperative chemoradiation with raltitrexed ('Tomudex') for T2/N+ and T3/N+ rectal cancers: a phase I study.
- Authors: Valentini V, Doglietto GB, Morganti AG, Turriziani A, Smaniotto D, De Santis M, Ratto C, Sofo L, Cellini N
- Issue date: 2001 Nov