X-ray refraction effects: application to the imaging of biological tissues.
AuthorsLewis, R A
Hall, C J
Hufton, Alan P
Menk, R H
Dance, D R
Ellis, I O
Pinder, S E
Rogers, K D
AffiliationDaresbury Laboratory, Warrington WA4 4AD, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe purpose of this study was to explore the potential of refraction contrast X-ray imaging of biological tissues. Images of dissected mouse lungs, heart, liver and legs were produced using the medical beamline at the Elettra Synchrotron at Trieste, Italy. The technique used was diffraction enhanced imaging. This utilizes a silicon crystal positioned between the tissue sample and the detector to separate refracted X-rays from transmitted and scattered radiation by Bragg diffraction. The contrast in the images produced is related to changes in the X-ray refractive index of the tissues, resulting in remarkable clarity compared with conventional X-ray images based on absorption effects. These changes were greatest at the boundaries between different tissues, giving a marked edge enhancement effect and three-dimensional appearance to the images. The technique provides a way of imaging a property of biological tissues not yet exploited, and further studies are planned to identify specific applications in medical imaging.
CitationX-ray refraction effects: application to the imaging of biological tissues. 2003, 76 (905):301-8 Br J Radiol
JournalThe British Journal of Radiology
- Diffraction-enhanced radiography of various mouse organs.
- Authors: Zhang X, Yang XR, Chen Y, Li HQ, Liu WY, Yuan QX, Chen SL
- Issue date: 2010 Sep
- Phase contrast X-ray imaging of mice and rabbit lungs: a comparative study.
- Authors: Kitchen MJ, Lewis RA, Yagi N, Uesugi K, Paganin D, Hooper SB, Adams G, Jureczek S, Singh J, Christensen CR, Hufton AP, Hall CJ, Cheung KC, Pavlov KM
- Issue date: 2005 Nov
- Refraction-enhanced tomography of mouse and rabbit lungs.
- Authors: Sera T, Uesugi K, Yagi N
- Issue date: 2005 Sep
- Refraction effects of diffraction-enhanced radiographic imaging: a new look at bone.
- Authors: Muehleman C, Sumner DR, Zhong Z
- Issue date: 2004 Sep-Oct
- [Refraction-contrast bone imaging using synchrotron radiation].
- Authors: Mori K, Sekine N, Sato H, Shikano N, Shimao D, Shiwaku H, Hyodo K, Oka H
- Issue date: 2002