A patient-centred approach to defining and assessing interviewing competency.
AffiliationCRUK Psychological Medicine Group Stanley House, Christie Hospital, Wilmslow Road, Manchester M20 4BX, United Kingdom. email@example.com
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe inclusion of communication skills as a core competency in health care curricula, has led to the need to define adequacy in this area. Developments in the field of interview analysis have meant that robust and objective ways of assessing interview behaviours are now available; however, these systems in themselves do not provide a model for assessing competency. As adequacy in interviewing is contextually driven, this paper discusses the potential of using patient centeredness to address the issue. It suggests two ways in which patient centeredness may be operationally defined, permitting data available from current rating systems, and from a new system shortly to be available, to be used to assess interviewing competency.
CitationA patient-centred approach to defining and assessing interviewing competency., 12 (2):86-91 Epidemiol Psichiatr Soc
JournalEpidemiologia e Psichiatria Sociale
- Views of new internal medicine faculty of their preparedness and competence in physician-patient communication.
- Authors: Mueller PS, Barrier PA, Call TG, Duncan AK, Hurley DL, Multari A, Rabatin JT, Li JT
- Issue date: 2006 May 26
- The potential of a self-assessment tool to identify healthcare professionals' strengths and areas in need of professional development to aid effective facilitation of group-based, person-centered diabetes education.
- Authors: Stenov V, Wind G, Skinner T, Reventlow S, Hempler NF
- Issue date: 2017 Sep 18
- Medical student interviewing: a randomized trial of patient-centredness and clinical competence.
- Authors: O'Keefe M, Roberton D, Sawyer M, Baghurst P
- Issue date: 2003 Apr
- Cultural competence: a proposal for physicians reaching out to Native Hawaiian patients.
- Authors: Palafox NA, Buenconsejo-Lum L, Ka'ano'i M, Yamada S
- Issue date: 2001 Sep
- Medical student interviewing skills and mother-reported satisfaction and recall.
- Authors: O'Keefe M, Sawyer M, Roberton D
- Issue date: 2001 Jul