Determination of IGF-I, IGF-II, IGFBP-2, and IGFBP-3 levels in serum and plasma: comparisons using the Bland-Altman method.
AffiliationDepartment of Surgery, Christie Hospital NHS Trust, Wilmslow Road, Manchester M20 4BX, UK. email@example.com
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe measurement of circulating insulin-like growth factors (IGFs) and IGF binding proteins (IGFBPs) have significant implications in the risk assessment of various diseases (e.g. cancer) and growth abnormalities. It is often assumed that values measured in serum and plasma are interchangeable. This study challenges this assumption by comparing determinants using the Bland-Altman method. Blood was obtained from 47 healthy volunteers (age 21-72 years) in serum, heparin plasma and EDTA plasma, and IGF-I, IGF-II, IGFBP-2, and IGFBP-3 measured, and results compared. Mean values for IGF-I, IGF-II, IGFBP-2 and IGFBP-3 determined in all three media were generally comparable; correlations were generally strong and significant (P<0.001). However, the Bland-Altman plots revealed significant lack of agreement for many analytes measured in EDTA plasma compared with serum and heparin plasma. Additionally, the ranges of the limits of agreement were consistently greater for EDTA plasma compared with the other two methods. These findings emphasize the need to standardize methods of collecting blood samples in future epidemiological studies and trials.
CitationDetermination of IGF-I, IGF-II, IGFBP-2, and IGFBP-3 levels in serum and plasma: comparisons using the Bland-Altman method. 2003, 13 (6):341-6 Growth Horm. IGF Res.
JournalGrowth Hormone & IGF Research
- Insulin-like growth factors (IGF-I, free IGF-I and IGF-II) and insulin-like growth factor binding proteins (IGFBP-2, IGFBP-3, IGFBP-6, and ALS) in blood circulation.
- Authors: Yu H, Mistry J, Nicar MJ, Khosravi MJ, Diamandis A, van Doorn J, Juul A
- Issue date: 1999
- Insulin-like growth factors and insulin-like growth factor binding proteins in adult patients with severe liver disease before and after orthotopic liver transplantation.
- Authors: Weber MM, Auernhammer CJ, Lee PD, Engelhardt D, Zachoval R
- Issue date: 2002
- Free and total insulin-like growth factor (IGF)-I, -II, and IGF binding protein-1, -2, and -3 serum levels in patients with active thyroid eye disease.
- Authors: Krassas GE, Pontikides N, Kaltsas T, Dumas A, Frystyk J, Chen JW, Flyvbjerg A
- Issue date: 2003 Jan
- Insulin-like growth factors (IGFs) and IGF-binding proteins (IGFBP-1, -2 and -3) in diabetic pregnancy: relationship to macrosomia.
- Authors: Yan-Jun L, Tsushima T, Minei S, Sanaka M, Nagashima T, Yanagisawa K, Omori Y
- Issue date: 1996 Apr
- Effect of severe growth hormone (GH) deficiency due to a mutation in the GH-releasing hormone receptor on insulin-like growth factors (IGFs), IGF-binding proteins, and ternary complex formation throughout life.
- Authors: Aguiar-Oliveira MH, Gill MS, de A Barretto ES, Alcântara MR, Miraki-Moud F, Menezes CA, Souza AH, Martinelli CE, Pereira FA, Salvatori R, Levine MA, Shalet SM, Camacho-Hubner C, Clayton PE
- Issue date: 1999 Nov