Total registration of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma and Hodgkin's disease in Scotland: effect of deprivation and caseload on outcome.
AffiliationPaterson Institute for Cancer Research, Christie Hospital NHS Trust, Wilmslow Road MBX 20 4, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAll cases S16 years of age with a histological diagnosis of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma (NHL) and Hodgkin's disease (HD) presented in Scotland between 1 January 1994 and 31 December 1996 were registered prospectively in the Scotland and Newcastle Lymphoma Group database by a process of total registration. The census population of Scotland in 1996-1997 was 5.1 million. One thousand seven hundred and sixty three patients were registered with NHL and 350 patients with HD. These patients have been followed up for a median of 47 months in the case of NHL and 51 months for HD cases. Actuarial 5-year survival for adult NHL was 35% and for HD, 75%. Outcome for both NHL and HD was particularly poor in the population over 60 years with median survival of 18 months for NHL and 27 months for HD. When analysis of survival was related to degree of material deprivation using the Carstairs score a significantly poorer survival was seen for NHL with increasing deprivation that could not be explained by a different pattern of age or stage at presentation. Deprivation had no impact on incidence or survival in HD. Analysis of impact of caseload of the physician initiating therapy showed no significant difference in 5-year survival.
CitationTotal registration of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma and Hodgkin's disease in Scotland: effect of deprivation and caseload on outcome. 2003, 8 (4):211-20 Hematology
- Hodgkin's and non-Hodgkin's lymphoma of the head and neck.
- Authors: Urquhart A, Berg R
- Issue date: 2001 Sep
- Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma after primary Hodgkin's disease in the German Hodgkin's Lymphoma Study Group: incidence, treatment, and prognosis.
- Authors: Rueffer U, Josting A, Franklin J, May M, Sieber M, Breuer K, Engert A, Diehl V, German Hodgkin's Lymphoma Study Group.
- Issue date: 2001 Apr 1
- Hodgkin's disease in patients infected with human immunodeficiency virus: frequency, presentation and clinical outcome.
- Authors: Tsimberidou AM, Sarris AH, Medeiros LJ, Mesina O, Rodriguez MA, Hagemeister FB, Romaguera J, Pro B, McLaughlin P, Dang N, Cabanillas F
- Issue date: 2001 May
- Composite lymphoma. A clinicopathologic analysis of nine patients with Hodgkin's disease and B-cell non-Hodgkin's lymphoma.
- Authors: Gonzalez CL, Medeiros LJ, Jaffe ES
- Issue date: 1991 Jul
- Incidence of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma and Hodgkin's disease in Sardinia, Italy: 1974-1993.
- Authors: Broccia G, Cocco P, Casula P, Research Group on the Epidemiology of Lymphomas in Sardinia (GELS).
- Issue date: 2001 Jan