Campto effective and flexible chemotherapy for advanced colorectal cancer.
AffiliationChristie Hospital NHS Trust, Manchester M20 4BX, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe use of chemotherapy with patients with advanced colorectal cancer is increasing. There is a growing appreciation of the potential of traditional and newer treatments to improve quality of life, and of their value in the palliation of symptoms, in addition to providing modest gains in overall survival. Possible benefits have to be weighed up against the risk of side effects and patients need to be supported in making difficult decisions. This article provides a brief overview of chemotherapy agents for advanced colorectal cancer and focuses on one new agent, Campto. The evidence supporting its use, common side effects and management recommendations are discussed. The role of the oncology team and the implications for nurses are outlined.
CitationCampto effective and flexible chemotherapy for advanced colorectal cancer. 2003, 9 (7):290-7 Int J Palliat Nurs
JournalInternational Journal of Palliative Nursing
- Irinotecan/5-fluorouracil/leucovorin in advanced colorectal cancer: Oncologic Drugs Advisory committee summary.
- Authors: Oncologic Drugs Advisory Committee.
- Issue date: 2002 May
- Multiagent regimens for metastatic colorectal cancer: if some is good, more must be better.
- Authors: Allegra C, George T Jr, Yothers G
- Issue date: 2011 Jan 5
- Treatment of advanced or recurrent colorectal cancer with irinotecan in Japan and elsewhere.
- Authors: Sato T, Hatate K, Ikeda A, Yamanashi T, Ozawa H, Onosato W, Nakamura T, Ihara A, Watanabe M
- Issue date: 2008 May
- Setting a new standard--irinotecan (Campto) in the second-line therapy of colorectal cancer: final results of two phase III studies and implications for clinical practice.
- Authors: Cunningham D
- Issue date: 1999 Feb
- Early supplementation of parenteral nutrition is capable of improving quality of life, chemotherapy-related toxicity and body composition in patients with advanced colorectal carcinoma undergoing palliative treatment: results from a prospective, randomized clinical trial.
- Authors: Hasenberg T, Essenbreis M, Herold A, Post S, Shang E
- Issue date: 2010 Oct