Short course para-aortic radiation for stage I seminoma of the testis.
AffiliationDepartment of Clinical Oncology, Christie Hospital NHS Trust, Manchester, United Kingdom. email@example.com
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPURPOSE: To determine the outcome in men with Stage I seminoma treated with low-dose para-aortic radiation. MATERIALS AND METHODS: Between January 1988 and December 2000, 431 men with Stage I seminoma were treated with para-aortic radiation to a midplane dose of 20 Gy in 8 fractions over 10 days. RESULTS: At a median follow-up of 62 months, 15 patients (3.5%) had relapsed, with a median time to relapse of 13 months (range: 9 to 39 months). Nine patients had pelvic nodal relapse; in addition, 1 patient had para-aortic involvement, and 2 had distant disease. Four had metastatic disease only (mediastinum 2, lung 2). One patient had scrotal recurrence, and 1 was treated for progressive rise in human chorionic gonadotrophin without identifiable disease. Initial treatment at relapse was chemotherapy (12), radiation (2), and surgery (1). One patient died from progressive disease. Thirteen men (3%) have developed second malignancies, including 7 contralateral testicular tumors, 5 solid malignancies, and 1 leukemia. The overall 5-year survival was 98%, and the estimated recurrence-free survival at 5 years was 96.3%. On log-rank univariate analysis, lymphovascular invasion, involvement of the tunica, and a preoperative human chorionic gonadotrophin level of greater than 5 were found to be of prognostic significance for recurrence. CONCLUSIONS: These data support short-duration, limited-field radiation as an optimal safe and effective protocol in the management of Stage I seminoma patients.
CitationShort course para-aortic radiation for stage I seminoma of the testis. 2003, 57 (5):1304-9 Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys
JournalInternational Journal of Radiation Oncology, Biology, Physics
- Para-aortic irradiation only appears to be adequate treatment for patients with Stage I seminoma of the testis.
- Authors: Sultanem K, Souhami L, Benk V, Bahary JP, Roman T, Shenouda G, Freeman C
- Issue date: 1998 Jan 15
- Stage II testicular seminoma: patterns of recurrence and outcome of treatment.
- Authors: Chung PW, Gospodarowicz MK, Panzarella T, Jewett MA, Sturgeon JF, Tew-George B, Bayley AJ, Catton CN, Milosevic MF, Moore M, Warde PR
- Issue date: 2004 Jun
- Combination carboplatin and radiotherapy in the management of stage II testicular seminoma: comparison with radiotherapy treatment alone.
- Authors: Patterson H, Norman AR, Mitra SS, Nicholls J, Fisher C, Dearnaley DP, Horwich A, Mason MD, Huddart RA
- Issue date: 2001 Apr
- Appropriate radiation volume for stage IIA/B testicular seminoma.
- Authors: Chung PW, Warde PR, Panzarella T, Bayley AJ, Catton CN, Milosevic MF, Jewett MA, Sturgeon JF, Moore M, Gospodarowicz MK
- Issue date: 2003 Jul 1
- Omission of the pelvic irradiation in stage I testicular seminoma: a study of postorchiectomy paraaortic radiotherapy.
- Authors: Kiricuta IC, Sauer J, Bohndorf W
- Issue date: 1996 May 1