Short course para-aortic radiation for stage I seminoma of the testis.
AffiliationDepartment of Clinical Oncology, Christie Hospital NHS Trust, Manchester, United Kingdom. firstname.lastname@example.org
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPURPOSE: To determine the outcome in men with Stage I seminoma treated with low-dose para-aortic radiation. MATERIALS AND METHODS: Between January 1988 and December 2000, 431 men with Stage I seminoma were treated with para-aortic radiation to a midplane dose of 20 Gy in 8 fractions over 10 days. RESULTS: At a median follow-up of 62 months, 15 patients (3.5%) had relapsed, with a median time to relapse of 13 months (range: 9 to 39 months). Nine patients had pelvic nodal relapse; in addition, 1 patient had para-aortic involvement, and 2 had distant disease. Four had metastatic disease only (mediastinum 2, lung 2). One patient had scrotal recurrence, and 1 was treated for progressive rise in human chorionic gonadotrophin without identifiable disease. Initial treatment at relapse was chemotherapy (12), radiation (2), and surgery (1). One patient died from progressive disease. Thirteen men (3%) have developed second malignancies, including 7 contralateral testicular tumors, 5 solid malignancies, and 1 leukemia. The overall 5-year survival was 98%, and the estimated recurrence-free survival at 5 years was 96.3%. On log-rank univariate analysis, lymphovascular invasion, involvement of the tunica, and a preoperative human chorionic gonadotrophin level of greater than 5 were found to be of prognostic significance for recurrence. CONCLUSIONS: These data support short-duration, limited-field radiation as an optimal safe and effective protocol in the management of Stage I seminoma patients.
CitationShort course para-aortic radiation for stage I seminoma of the testis. 2003, 57 (5):1304-9 Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys
JournalInternational Journal of Radiation Oncology, Biology, Physics
- Long-term outcomes of radiotherapy for stage II testicular seminoma--the Mayo Clinic experience.
- Authors: Hallemeier CL, Pisansky TM, Davis BJ, Choo R
- Issue date: 2013 Nov
- Is radiotherapy a good adjuvant strategy for men with a history of cryptorchism and stage I seminoma?
- Authors: Martin JM, Gorayski P, Zwahlen D, Fay M, Keller J, Millar J
- Issue date: 2010 Jan 1
- Stage I testicular seminoma: para-aortic and iliac irradiation with reduced dose after orchiectomy.
- Authors: Gürkaynak M, Akyol F, Zorlu F, Akyurek S, Yildiz F, Atahan IL
- Issue date: 2003
- Stage I seminoma of the testis: long term results and toxicity with adjuvant radiotherapy.
- Authors: Amichetti M, Fellin G, Bolner A, Busana L, Pani G, Romano M, Scillieri M, Maluta S
- Issue date: 1994 Apr 30
- Management of clinical stage I testicular pure seminoma. Report on 42 patients and review of the literature.
- Authors: Porcaro AB, Antoniolli SZ, Schiavone D, Maffei N, Bassetto MA, Curti P
- Issue date: 2002 Jun