AffiliationCancer Research UK, Psychological Medicine Group, Christie Hospital, Withington, Manchester.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPatients are more likely to develop psychological problems if their concerns are unresolved and their information needs unmet. However, many health professionals are uncertain how to elicit patients' concerns or tailor information appropriately. These difficulties may also lead to psychological problems for the health professional. Feeling inadequately trained in communication skills has been linked to burnout amongst senior doctors working in cancer. Clinicians find that some consultations are particularly hard to manage; for example, when patients are highly distressed, angry, withdrawn or in denial. Barriers to effective communication are patient-led as well as doctor- or nurse-led but relevant training can help overcome those barriers. The article described one training model that is effective in improving health professionals' skills. Specific strategies are suggested that can help in the more difficult consultations and so enable clinicians to talk to patients about their concerns and worries more freely.
CitationManaging the difficult consultation., 3 (6):532-7 Clin Med
- Does burnout among doctors affect their involvement in patients' mental health problems? A study of videotaped consultations.
- Authors: Zantinge EM, Verhaak PF, de Bakker DH, van der Meer K, Bensing JM
- Issue date: 2009 Aug 26
- The Effect of Screen-to-Screen Versus Face-to-Face Consultation on Doctor-Patient Communication: An Experimental Study with Simulated Patients.
- Authors: Tates K, Antheunis ML, Kanters S, Nieboer TE, Gerritse MB
- Issue date: 2017 Dec 20
- The relevance of clinical ethnography: reflections on 10 years of a cultural consultation service.
- Authors: Dominicé Dao M, Inglin S, Vilpert S, Hudelson P
- Issue date: 2018 Jan 11
- Improving the effectiveness of interpreted consultations: Australian interpreter, general practitioner and patient perspectives.
- Authors: Sturman N, Farley R, Claudio F, Avila P
- Issue date: 2018 Mar
- Patients' reports of barriers to expressing concerns during cancer consultations.
- Authors: Brandes K, Linn AJ, Smit EG, van Weert JC
- Issue date: 2015 Mar