Extracapsular dissection for clinically benign parotid lumps: reduced morbidity without oncological compromise.
AffiliationSalivary Gland Service, Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Floor 23 Guy's Tower, Guy's Hospital, London Bridge, London SE1 9RT, UK. firstname.lastname@example.org
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPrevious studies have shown that extracapsular dissection (ECD) is an alternative approach to superficial parotidectomy (SP) for pleomorphic adenoma parotid tumours, associated with low recurrence rates equal to those following SP, but with significantly reduced morbidity. However, if a malignant tumour masquerades as a clinically benign lump, this approach may be inappropriate. This study addressed this question by analysing the outcome of 821 consecutive patients with parotid tumours treated at one centre over 40 years and with a median 12 (range 5-30) years follow-up. Tumours were classified as 'simple' (discrete, mobile, < 4 cm: n=662) and 'complex' (deep, fixed, facial nerve palsy, > or =4 cm: n=159). Among the 'simple' or clinically benign tumours, 503 patients underwent ECD; 159 patients underwent SP. In all, 32 (5%) clinically benign cases were subsequently revealed as malignant histologies (ECD, 12; SP, 20). For each group, 5- and 10-year cancer-specific survival rates were 100 and 98%, respectively. There were no differences in recurrence rates when subanalysed by surgical groups, but ECD was associated with significantly reduced morbidity (P < 0.001). This study demonstrates that ECD is a viable alternative to superficial parotidectomy for the majority of parotid tumours, associated with reduced morbidity without oncological compromise.
CitationExtracapsular dissection for clinically benign parotid lumps: reduced morbidity without oncological compromise. 2003, 89 (9):1610-3 Br. J. Cancer
JournalBritish Journal of Cancer
- Extracapsular dissection for benign parotid tumors: a meta-analysis.
- Authors: Albergotti WG, Nguyen SA, Zenk J, Gillespie MB
- Issue date: 2012 Sep
- [Extracapsular dissection versus superficial parotidectomy for treatment of parotid benign tumors: evidence based medicine analysis].
- Authors: Jia ZY, Zhang XY, Jiang CB, Zhao YZ, Zhang R, Fan XH, Zhang YH
- Issue date: 2017 Jun 5
- Surgical management of epithelial parotid tumours.
- Authors: Obaid MA, Yusuf A
- Issue date: 2004 Jul
- The significance of the margin in parotid surgery for pleomorphic adenoma.
- Authors: Witt RL
- Issue date: 2002 Dec
- Extra-capsular dissection for benign parotid tumours.
- Authors: Shehata EA
- Issue date: 2010 Feb