Vascular endothelial growth factors C and D and lymphangiogenesis in gastrointestinal tract malignancy.
AuthorsDuff, Sarah E
Saunders, Mark P
O'Dwyer, Sarah T
Jayson, Gordon C
AffiliationDepartment of Surgery, Christie Hospital NHS Trust, Wilmslow Road, Manchester M20 4BX, UK. firstname.lastname@example.org
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractVascular endothelial growth factor-C (VEGF-C) and VEGF-D are members of the VEGF family of cytokines and have angiogenic and lymphangiogenic actions. In gastric adenocarcinoma, VEGF-C mRNA and tissue protein expression correlate with lymphatic invasion, lymph node metastasis and in some reports, venous invasion and reduced 5-year survival. Patients with gastric adenocarcinomas containing high levels of VEGF-C expression have significantly reduced 5-year survival rates, and VEGF-C expression is an independent prognostic risk factor for death. The role of VEGF-C in oesophageal squamous and colorectal cancer and VEGF-D in colorectal cancer is not clear, with conflicting reports in the published literature. In order to exploit potential therapeutic applications, further research is necessary to define the precise roles of these cytokines in health and disease.
CitationVascular endothelial growth factors C and D and lymphangiogenesis in gastrointestinal tract malignancy. 2003, 89 (3):426-30 Br. J. Cancer
JournalBritish Journal of Cancer
- Vascular endothelial growth factors C and D represent novel prognostic markers in colorectal carcinoma using quantitative image analysis.
- Authors: Hu WG, Li JW, Feng B, Beveridge M, Yue F, Lu AG, Ma JJ, Wang ML, Guo Y, Jin XL, Zheng MH
- Issue date: 2007
- Clinical significance of VEGF-A, -C and -D expression in esophageal malignancies.
- Authors: Kleespies A, Bruns CJ, Jauch KW
- Issue date: 2005 May
- [Expression of vascular endothelial growth factors (VEGF)-A, -C and -D and their prognostic significance and relationship with angio- and lymphangiogenesis in gastric cancer].
- Authors: Wang XL, Ai ZS, Fang JP, Tang RY, Chen XM
- Issue date: 2008 Nov
- Expression of vascular endothelial growth factors A, B, C, and D and their relationships to lymph node status in lung adenocarcinoma.
- Authors: Niki T, Iba S, Tokunou M, Yamada T, Matsuno Y, Hirohashi S
- Issue date: 2000 Jun
- Vascular endothelial growth factor-D and its receptor VEGFR-3: two novel independent prognostic markers in gastric adenocarcinoma.
- Authors: Jüttner S, Wissmann C, Jöns T, Vieth M, Hertel J, Gretschel S, Schlag PM, Kemmner W, Höcker M
- Issue date: 2006 Jan 10