A Bayesian neural network approach for modelling censored data with an application to prognosis after surgery for breast cancer.
AffiliationSchool of Computing and Mathematical Sciences, Liverpool John Moores University, Byrom Street, Liverpool L3 3AF, UK. firstname.lastname@example.org
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractA Bayesian framework is introduced to carry out Automatic Relevance Determination (ARD) in feedforward neural networks to model censored data. A procedure to identify and interpret the prognostic group allocation is also described. These methodologies are applied to 1616 records routinely collected at Christie Hospital, in a monthly cohort study with 5-year follow-up. Two cohort studies are presented, for low- and high-risk patients allocated by standard clinical staging. The results of contrasting the Partial Logistic Artificial Neural Network (PLANN)-ARD model with the proportional hazards model are that the two are consistent, but the neural network may be more specific in the allocation of patients into prognostic groups. With automatic model selection, the regularised neural network is more conservative than the default stepwise forward selection procedure implemented by SPSS with the Akaike Information Criterion.
CitationA Bayesian neural network approach for modelling censored data with an application to prognosis after surgery for breast cancer. 2003, 28 (1):1-25 Artif Intell Med
JournalArtificial Intelligence in Medicine
- Time-to-event analysis with artificial neural networks: an integrated analytical and rule-based study for breast cancer.
- Authors: Lisboa PJ, Etchells TA, Jarman IH, Hane Aung MS, Chabaud S, Bachelot T, Perol D, Gargi T, Bourdès V, Bonnevay S, Négrier S
- Issue date: 2008 Mar-Apr
- An integrated framework for risk profiling of breast cancer patients following surgery.
- Authors: Jarman IH, Etchells TA, Martín JD, Lisboa PJ
- Issue date: 2008 Mar
- Artificial neural network for the joint modelling of discrete cause-specific hazards.
- Authors: Biganzoli EM, Boracchi P, Ambrogi F, Marubini E
- Issue date: 2006 Jun
- Partial logistic artificial neural network for competing risks regularized with automatic relevance determination.
- Authors: Lisboa PJ, Etchells TA, Jarman IH, Arsene CT, Aung MS, Eleuteri A, Taktak AF, Ambrogi F, Boracchi P, Biganzoli E
- Issue date: 2009 Sep
- A combined neural network and decision trees model for prognosis of breast cancer relapse.
- Authors: Jerez-Aragonés JM, Gómez-Ruiz JA, Ramos-Jiménez G, Muñoz-Pérez J, Alba-Conejo E
- Issue date: 2003 Jan