Geographical and ecological analyses of childhood acute leukaemias and lymphomas in north-west England.
AffiliationCancer Research UK Paediatric and Familial Cancer Research Group, Central Manchester and Manchester Children's University Hospitals NHS Trust, Manchester, UK. firstname.lastname@example.org
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractChildhood leukaemias and lymphomas have been associated with exposure to environmental factors, including infections, which show geographical variation. This study examined the geographical distribution of the incidence of acute leukaemia and lymphoma using Manchester Children's Tumour Registry (MCTR) data 1976-2000. A total of 910 children were included, all of whom had histologically and/or cytologically verified leukaemia or lymphoma. At the time of their diagnoses, all the children were aged 0-14 years and were resident in the counties of Greater Manchester or Lancashire. Standardized morbidity ratios were calculated. Poisson regression was used to examine the relationship between incidence rates and small-area (census ward) population density, ethnic composition and deprivation index. There was a monotonic relationship between acute lymphoblastic leukaemia (ALL) incidence and population density (P = 0.05). Higher rates were seen in more densely populated areas. There was evidence for a monotonic relationship between the incidence of the mixed cellularity subtype of Hodgkin's disease (HD) and the Townsend deprivation score (P = 0.001). Markedly higher incidence was associated with greater levels of unemployment and household overcrowding. The results for ALL and mixed cellularity HD support the involvement of environmental factors, such as infections, in disease aetiology.
CitationGeographical and ecological analyses of childhood acute leukaemias and lymphomas in north-west England. 2003, 123 (1):60-5 Br. J. Haematol.
JournalBritish Journal of Haematology
- Examination of temporal trends in the incidence of childhood leukaemias and lymphomas provides aetiological clues.
- Authors: McNally RJ, Cairns DP, Eden OB, Kelsey AM, Taylor GM, Birch JM
- Issue date: 2001 Oct
- Patterns and temporal trends in the incidence of malignant disease in children: I. Leukaemia and lymphoma.
- Authors: Blair V, Birch JM
- Issue date: 1994
- Seasonal variations in the onset of childhood leukaemia and lymphoma.
- Authors: Westerbeek RM, Blair V, Eden OB, Kelsey AM, Stevens RF, Will AM, Taylor GM, Birch JM
- Issue date: 1998 Jul
- Leukaemia and non-Hodgkin's lymphoma in young persons resident in small areas of West Cumbria in relation to paternal preconceptional irradiation.
- Authors: Wakeford R, Parker L
- Issue date: 1996 Mar
- Cancer in young people in the north of England, 1968-85: analysis by census wards.
- Authors: Craft AW, Parker L, Openshaw S, Charlton M, Newell J, Birch JM, Blair V
- Issue date: 1993 Apr