GLUT-1 and CAIX as intrinsic markers of hypoxia in carcinoma of the cervix: relationship to pimonidazole binding.
Loncaster, Juliette A
Raleigh, James A
Harris, Adrian L
Davidson, Susan E
Hunter, Robin D
West, Catharine M L
Stratford, Ian J
AffiliationSchool of Pharmacy and Chemistry, Liverpool John Moores University, Liverpool, United Kingdom. R.Airley@livjm.ac.uk
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe presence of hypoxia in tumours results in the overexpression of certain genes, which are controlled via the transcription factor HIF-1. Hypoxic cells are known to be radioresistant and chemoresistant, thus, a reliable surrogate marker of hypoxia is desirable to ensure that treatment may be rationally applied. Recently, the HIF-1-regulated proteins Glut-1 and CAIX were validated as intrinsic markers of hypoxia by comparison with pO(2) measured using oxygen electrodes. We compare the expression of Glut-1 and CAIX with the binding of the bioreductive drug hypoxia marker pimonidazole. Pimonidazole was administered to 42 patients with advanced carcinoma of the cervix, 16 hr before biopsy. Sections of single or multiple biopsies were then immunostained for Glut-1 and CAIX, and the area of staining scored by eye, using a "field-by-field" semi-quantitative averaging system. Using 1 biopsy only, Glut-1 (r = 0.54, p = <0.001) correlated with the level of pimonidazole binding, and Glut-1 and CAIX expression also correlated significantly (r = 0.40, p = <0.009). Thus, our study has shown that HIF-1 regulated genes have potential for future use as predictors of the malignant changes mediated by hypoxia, and warrant further investigation as indicators of response to cancer therapy.
CitationGLUT-1 and CAIX as intrinsic markers of hypoxia in carcinoma of the cervix: relationship to pimonidazole binding. 2003, 104 (1):85-91 Int. J. Cancer
JournalInternational Journal of Cancer
- Comparison between pimonidazole binding, oxygen electrode measurements, and expression of endogenous hypoxia markers in cancer of the uterine cervix.
- Authors: Jankovic B, Aquino-Parsons C, Raleigh JA, Stanbridge EJ, Durand RE, Banath JP, MacPhail SH, Olive PL
- Issue date: 2006 Mar
- GLUT1 and CAIX as intrinsic markers of hypoxia in bladder cancer: relationship with vascularity and proliferation as predictors of outcome of ARCON.
- Authors: Hoskin PJ, Sibtain A, Daley FM, Wilson GD
- Issue date: 2003 Oct 6
- Hypoxia biomarkers in squamous cell carcinoma of the uterine cervix.
- Authors: Ellingsen C, Andersen LM, Galappathi K, Rofstad EK
- Issue date: 2015 Oct 26
- Metabolic markers in relation to hypoxia; staining patterns and colocalization of pimonidazole, HIF-1α, CAIX, LDH-5, GLUT-1, MCT1 and MCT4.
- Authors: Rademakers SE, Lok J, van der Kogel AJ, Bussink J, Kaanders JH
- Issue date: 2011 May 12
- Hypoxia-inducible factor 1alpha expression as an intrinsic marker of hypoxia: correlation with tumor oxygen, pimonidazole measurements, and outcome in locally advanced carcinoma of the cervix.
- Authors: Hutchison GJ, Valentine HR, Loncaster JA, Davidson SE, Hunter RD, Roberts SA, Harris AL, Stratford IJ, Price PM, West CM
- Issue date: 2004 Dec 15