Foot pump prophylaxis for deep venous thrombosis-rate of effective usage following knee and hip arthroplasty.
AffiliationUniversity Department of Orthopaedics, Manchester Royal Infirmary, Manchester, UK. firstname.lastname@example.org
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe recorded the usage of foot pumps during the post-operative period in 29 patients undergoing knee or hip arthroplasty and made 621 recordings. Effective utilisation of foot pumps was seen in 37.2% of cases. There was a gradual reduction in correct utilisation with each day that passed post-operatively (day 1, 60.4%; day 2, 48.8%; day 3, 28.8%; day 4, 21.4%; day 5, 23%). This gradual reduction was statistically significant ( P=0.001) and mainly occurred between the second and third post-operative days. Effective usage was 60.2% overall at night and 36.4% during the day. Our results question the efficiency of foot pumps in deep venous thrombosis prophylaxis in the context of a true clinical setting.
CitationFoot pump prophylaxis for deep venous thrombosis-rate of effective usage following knee and hip arthroplasty. 2003, 27 (4):208-10 Int Orthop
- [Thrombosis prophylaxis in orthopaedic surgery: considerations and uncertainties].
- Authors: Ettema HB, Hoppener MR, Büller HR, Henny ChP, Verheyen CC
- Issue date: 2003 Sep 20
- Short-duration prophylaxis against venous thromboembolism after total hip or knee replacement: a meta-analysis of prospective studies investigating symptomatic outcomes.
- Authors: Douketis JD, Eikelboom JW, Quinlan DJ, Willan AR, Crowther MA
- Issue date: 2002 Jul 8
- Nonpharmacologic thromboembolic prophylaxis in total knee arthroplasty.
- Authors: Bottner F, Sculco TP
- Issue date: 2001 Nov
- A prospective observational study on the effectiveness and safety of bemiparin, first dose administered 6 h after knee or hip replacement surgery.
- Authors: Abad JI, Gómez-Outes A, Martínez-González J, Rocha E, Bemiparin 6 Hours After Surgery Study Group.
- Issue date: 2007 Oct
- Ximelagatran for the prevention of venous thromboembolism following elective hip or knee replacement surgery.
- Authors: Colwell C, Mouret P
- Issue date: 2005 Aug