The detection of Simian virus 40 in mesotheliomas from New Zealand and England using real time FRET probe PCR protocols.
AffiliationDepartment of Pathology, Waikato Hospital, Hamilton, New Zealand. email@example.com
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAIMS: To detect Simian virus 40 (SV40) DNA in mesotheliomas from New Zealand and from England using novel real time FRET probe polymerase chain reaction (PCR) protocols. METHODS: Twenty four mesotheliomas from New Zealand (Central North Island) and 32 mesotheliomas from England (Greater Manchester region) were examined. Two real time FRET probe PCR protocols were optimised and their analytical sensitivity compared using dilutions of SV40 DNA. A conventional SV40 large tumour antigen protocol with detection by probe hybridisation and chemiluminescent Southern blotting was also optimised. RESULTS: Both real time PCR protocols had the same analytical sensitivity, detecting down to 10(-6) pg of SV40 DNA for each reaction, approximately one SV40 copy. All of the 56 mesothelioma samples contained amplifiable beta globin DNA, but none contained amplifiable SV40 DNA with the conventional large T antigen PCR-Southern blotting protocol, or the two real time FRET probe PCR protocols. The positive and negative controls gave the expected results. There was no evidence of inhibition. CONCLUSIONS: There is abundant evidence in the literature for the presence of SV40 in mesotheliomas. However, this study found no evidence of SV40 in mesotheliomas from England and New Zealand. The extensive use of SV40 contaminated polio vaccine in New Zealand does not seem to have resulted in SV40 associated mesotheliomas.
CitationThe detection of Simian virus 40 in mesotheliomas from New Zealand and England using real time FRET probe PCR protocols. 2003, 56 (10):728-30 J. Clin. Pathol.
JournalJournal of Clinical Pathology
- Presence of simian virus 40 (SV40) is not frequent in Swedish malignant mesotheliomas.
- Authors: Priftakis P, Bogdanovic G, Hjerpe A, Dalianis T
- Issue date: 2002 May-Jun
- No detection of SV40 DNA in mesothelioma tissues from a high incidence area in Sweden.
- Authors: Lundstig A, Dejmek A, Eklund C, Filinic I, Dillner J
- Issue date: 2007 Nov-Dec
- Simian virus 40 (SV40)-like DNA sequences not detectable in finnish mesothelioma patients not exposed to SV40-contaminated polio vaccines.
- Authors: Hirvonen A, Mattson K, Karjalainen A, Ollikainen T, Tammilehto L, Hovi T, Vainio H, Pass HI, Di Resta I, Carbone M, Linnainmaa K
- Issue date: 1999 Oct
- Detection of SV40-like DNA sequences in pleural mesothelioma, bronchopulmonary carcinoma and other pulmonary diseases.
- Authors: Galateau-Salle F, Bidet P, Iwatsubo Y, Gennetay E, Renier A, Letourneux M, Pairon JC, Moritz S, Brochard P, Jaurand MC, Freymuth F
- Issue date: 1998
- Trends in U.S. pleural mesothelioma incidence rates following simian virus 40 contamination of early poliovirus vaccines.
- Authors: Strickler HD, Goedert JJ, Devesa SS, Lahey J, Fraumeni JF Jr, Rosenberg PS
- Issue date: 2003 Jan 1