X-epilectin: a novel epidermal fucolectin regulated by BMP signalling.
AffiliationMolecular Physiology, Department of Biological Sciences, Warwick University, Coventry, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThis paper reports the cloning and characterisation of a new posterior epidermal marker, X-epilectin, in Xenopus laevis. This gene encodes for a fucolectin, which belongs to the lectin superfamily of carbohydrate binding proteins and specifically binds fucose residues. RT-PCR and in situ hybridisation show that the expression of this gene is switched on during gastrulation and up-regulated during neurula stages and found expressed ubiquitously throughout the epidermis. From tailbud stages, the expression is limited to the dorsal posterior region of the embryo, suggesting that X-epilectin expression is regulated along anteroposterior and dorsoventral gradients during development. In the adult, X-epilectin is mainly expressed in intestinal components, kidney, spinal cord and skin. The effects of growth factors on the regulation of X-epilectin were studied. Change of the fate of animal caps into cement gland or dorsal mesoderm induces a down-regulation of X-epilectin expression in explants treated respectively with ammonium chloride and activin A. We also show that X-epilectin expression is down-regulated by Noggin and tBR and that this effect is inhibited by BMP4 over-expression, suggesting X-epilectin expression is mediated by the BMP signalling pathway.
CitationX-epilectin: a novel epidermal fucolectin regulated by BMP signalling. 2004, 48 (10):1119-29 Int. J. Dev. Biol.
JournalThe International Journal of Developmental Biology
- BMPER, a novel endothelial cell precursor-derived protein, antagonizes bone morphogenetic protein signaling and endothelial cell differentiation.
- Authors: Moser M, Binder O, Wu Y, Aitsebaomo J, Ren R, Bode C, Bautch VL, Conlon FL, Patterson C
- Issue date: 2003 Aug
- Ventral mesodermal patterning in Xenopus embryos: expression patterns and activities of BMP-2 and BMP-4.
- Authors: Hemmati-Brivanlou A, Thomsen GH
- Issue date: 1995
- A novel BMP expressed in developing mouse limb, spinal cord, and tail bud is a potent mesoderm inducer in Xenopus embryos.
- Authors: Gamer LW, Wolfman NM, Celeste AJ, Hattersley G, Hewick R, Rosen V
- Issue date: 1999 Apr 1
- Xolloid-related: a novel BMP1/Tolloid-related metalloprotease is expressed during early Xenopus development.
- Authors: Dale L, Evans W, Goodman SA
- Issue date: 2002 Dec
- The early expression control of Xepsin by nonaxial and planar posteriorizing signals in Xenopus epidermis.
- Authors: Yamada K, Takabatake Y, Takabatake T, Takeshima K
- Issue date: 1999 Oct 15