Effect of addition of FLT-3 ligand and megakaryocyte growth and development factor on hemopoietic cells in serum-free conditions.
De Wynter, Erika A
AffiliationDepartment of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, Section of Hematology, University of Verona, Italy.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe aim of this study was to clarify the mechanisms that regulate hematopoietic cell expansion in vitro by identifying defined culture conditions. We report the results of experiments with CD34(+) cells from cord blood (CB, n = 13), bone marrow (BM, n = 4), and mobilized peripheral blood stem cells (PBSC, n = 5) using two combinations of cytokines: (A) granulocyte colony-stimulating factor (G-CSF), interleukin-3 (IL-3), interleukin-6 (IL-6), stem cell factor (SCF), erythropoietin (EPO), insulin-like growth factor-1 (IGF-1), basic fibroblast growth factor (FGF-b) and (B) combination A plus FLT3 ligand (FL) and megakaryocyte growth and development factor (PEG rhMGDF). Cultures of immunoselected CD34(+) cells were performed in serum-free liquid medium without serum substitutes. The area under the curve (AUC) obtained by plotting the logarithm of the total number of viable cells, CD34(+) cells, and CFC per well, toward the week of culture was used as an index of cell expansion. With CB, a significant difference was obtained between the two combinations of cytokines with regard to the total number of viable cells, GM-CFC, and CD34(+) cells. The difference between the two combinations of cytokines obtained with BM was significant with respect to the total number of viable cells and CD34(+) cells but not for the erythroid and myeloid progenitors. When CD34(+) cells from peripheral blood stem cells (PBSC) were cultured in presence of the two combinations of cytokines, the difference in terms of AUC was not statistically significant. Our data indicate additional effects in terms of proliferation and expansion of hematopoietic cells in serum-free conditions when FL and polyethylene glycol (PEG) rhMGDF are included in culture and suggest a differential activity of these cytokines on cells from different hematopoietic sources.
CitationEffect of addition of FLT-3 ligand and megakaryocyte growth and development factor on hemopoietic cells in serum-free conditions. 2004, 13 (4):362-71 Stem Cells Dev.
JournalStem Cells and Development
- Expansion of megakaryocyte precursors and stem cells from umbilical cord blood CD34+ cells in collagen and liquid culture media.
- Authors: Shaw PH, Olszewski M, Kletzel M
- Issue date: 2001 Jun
- Ex vivo expansion of CD34+ umbilical cord blood cells in a defined serum-free medium (QBSF-60) with early effect cytokines.
- Authors: Qiu L, Meagher R, Welhausen S, Heye M, Brown R, Herzig RH
- Issue date: 1999 Dec
- Ex vivo expansion of megakaryocyte progenitors: effect of various growth factor combinations on CD34+ progenitor cells from bone marrow and G-CSF-mobilized peripheral blood.
- Authors: Gehling UM, Ryder JW, Hogan CJ, Hami L, McNiece I, Franklin W, Williams S, Helm K, King J, Shpall EJ
- Issue date: 1997 Oct
- [Expansion of erythroid progenitors and CD34+ cells by umbilical cord blood mononuclear cells].
- Authors: Zhang JX, Mao P
- Issue date: 2005 Jun
- Thrombopoietin is synergistic with other cytokines for expansion of cord blood progenitor cells.
- Authors: Won JH, Cho SD, Park SK, Lee GT, Baick SH, Suh WS, Hong DS, Park HS
- Issue date: 2000 Aug