Haraldsson, H Magnus
Barnhart, Todd E
Roberts, Andy D
Oakes, Terrence R
Stone, Charles K
Kalin, Ned H
AffiliationDepartment of Psychiatry, University of Wisconsin, Madison, 6001 Research Park Blvd., Madison, WI 53719, USA.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe used transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS) in combination with positron emission tomography (PET) to investigate the effective connectivity of four cortical regions within the same study. By employing [17F]-[CH3F] ([17F]-fluoromethane) as a radiotracer of blood-flow, we were able to obtain increased sensitivity compared to [15O]-H2O for both cortical and subcortical structures. The brain areas investigated were left primary motor cortex, right primary visual cortex, and left and right prefrontal areas. We found that each site of stimulation yielded a different pattern of activation/deactivation consistent with its anatomical connectivity. Moreover, we found that TMS of prefrontal and motor cortical areas gave rise to trans-synaptic activation of subcortical circuits.
CitationA [17F]-fluoromethane PET/TMS study of effective connectivity. 2004, 64 (2):103-13 Brain Res. Bull.
JournalBrain Research Bulletin
- Inferring causality in brain images: a perturbation approach.
- Authors: Paus T
- Issue date: 2005 May 29
- Functional MRI of the immediate impact of transcranial magnetic stimulation on cortical and subcortical motor circuits.
- Authors: Bestmann S, Baudewig J, Siebner HR, Rothwell JC, Frahm J
- Issue date: 2004 Apr
- Cortical and subcortical brain effects of transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS)-induced movement: an interleaved TMS/functional magnetic resonance imaging study.
- Authors: Denslow S, Lomarev M, George MS, Bohning DE
- Issue date: 2005 Apr 1
- Transcranial magnetic stimulation during positron emission tomography: a new method for studying connectivity of the human cerebral cortex.
- Authors: Paus T, Jech R, Thompson CJ, Comeau R, Peters T, Evans AC
- Issue date: 1997 May 1
- Column-based model of electric field excitation of cerebral cortex.
- Authors: Fox PT, Narayana S, Tandon N, Sandoval H, Fox SP, Kochunov P, Lancaster JL
- Issue date: 2004 May