The cell cycle and how it is steered by Kaposi's sarcoma-associated herpesvirus cyclin.
AffiliationStanford University, Pathology Department, 300 Pasteur Drive, MC 5324, Stanford, CA 94305, USA.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractA timely coordination of cellular DNA synthesis and division cycles is governed by the temporal and spatial activation of cyclin-dependent kinases (Cdks). The primary regulation of Cdk activation is through binding to partner cyclin proteins. Several gammaherpesviruses encode a viral homologue of cellular cyclin D, which may function to deregulate host cell cycle progression. One of these is encoded by Kaposi's sarcoma-associated herpesvirus (KSHV) and is called K cyclin or viral cyclin (v-cyclin). v-Cyclin is expressed in most of the malignant cells that are associated with KSHV infection in humans, labelling v-cyclin as a putative viral oncogene. Here are described some of the major structural and functional properties of mammalian cyclin/Cdk complexes, some of which are phenocopied by v-cyclin. In addition, the molecular events leading to orderly progression through the G(1)/S and G/M cell cycle phases are reviewed. This molecular picture serves as a platform on which to explain v-cyclin-specific functional properties. Interesting but largely speculative issues concern the interplay between v-cyclin-mediated cell cycle deregulation and molecular progression of KSHV-associated neoplasms.
CitationThe cell cycle and how it is steered by Kaposi's sarcoma-associated herpesvirus cyclin. 2004, 85 (Pt 6):1347-61 J. Gen. Virol.
JournalThe Journal of General Virology
- The cyclin encoded by Kaposi's sarcoma-associated herpesvirus stimulates cdk6 to phosphorylate the retinoblastoma protein and histone H1.
- Authors: Godden-Kent D, Talbot SJ, Boshoff C, Chang Y, Moore P, Weiss RA, Mittnacht S
- Issue date: 1997 Jun
- Activation of cyclin A gene expression by the cyclin encoded by human herpesvirus-8.
- Authors: Duro D, Schulze A, Vogt B, Bartek J, Mittnacht S, Jansen-Dürr P
- Issue date: 1999 Mar
- Kaposi's sarcoma-associated herpesvirus-encoded v-cyclin triggers apoptosis in cells with high levels of cyclin-dependent kinase 6.
- Authors: Ojala PM, Tiainen M, Salven P, Veikkola T, Castaños-Vélez E, Sarid R, Biberfeld P, Mäkelä TP
- Issue date: 1999 Oct 1
- Kaposi's sarcoma-associated herpesvirus encodes a functional cyclin.
- Authors: Li M, Lee H, Yoon DW, Albrecht JC, Fleckenstein B, Neipel F, Jung JU
- Issue date: 1997 Mar
- The N-terminal peptide of the Kaposi's sarcoma-associated herpesvirus (KSHV)-cyclin determines substrate specificity.
- Authors: Kaldis P
- Issue date: 2005 Mar 25