Yeast nuclear pore complexes have a cytoplasmic ring and internal filaments.
Allen, Terence D
Rutherford, Sandra A
Wente, Susan R
Goldberg, Martin W
AffiliationStructural Cell Biology, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, Christie Hospital NHS Trust, Manchester M20 4BX, UK. firstname.lastname@example.org
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe nuclear pore complex (NPC) controls transport of macromolecules across the nuclear envelope. It is large and complex but appears to consist of only approximately 30 different proteins despite its mass of > 60MDa. Vertebrate NPC structure has been analyzed by several methods giving a comprehensive architectural model. Despite our knowledge of yeast nucleoporins, structural data is more limited and suggests the basic organization is similar to vertebrates, but may lack some peripheral and other components. Using field emission scanning electron microscopy to probe NPC structure we found that the yeast, like higher eukaryotic, NPCs contain similar peripheral components. We can detect cytoplasmic rings and evidence of nucleoplasmic rings in yeasts. A filamentous basket is present on the nucleoplasmic face and evidence for cytoplasmic filaments is shown. We observed a central structure, possibly the transporter, that which may be linked to the cytoplasmic ring by internal filaments. Immuno-gold labeling suggested that Nup159p may be attached to the cytoplasmic ring, whereas Nup116p may be associated, partly, with the cytoplasmic filaments. Analysis of a Nup57p mutant suggested a role in maintaining the stability of cytoplasmic components of the NPC. We conclude that peripheral NPC components appear similar in yeasts compared to higher organisms and present a revised model for yeast NPC structural composition.
CitationYeast nuclear pore complexes have a cytoplasmic ring and internal filaments. 2004, 145 (3):272-88 J. Struct. Biol.
JournalJournal of Structural Biology
- Natively unfolded nucleoporins gate protein diffusion across the nuclear pore complex.
- Authors: Patel SS, Belmont BJ, Sante JM, Rexach MF
- Issue date: 2007 Apr 6
- Activation of ryanodine receptors in the nuclear envelope alters the conformation of the nuclear pore complex.
- Authors: Erickson ES, Mooren OL, Moore-Nichols D, Dunn RC
- Issue date: 2004 Dec 1
- Active nuclear pore complexes in Chironomus: visualization of transporter configurations related to mRNP export.
- Authors: Kiseleva E, Goldberg MW, Allen TD, Akey CW
- Issue date: 1998 Jan
- [Nuclear pores: from yeast to higher eukaryotes].
- Authors: Doye V
- Issue date: 2002
- The cytoplasmic filaments of the nuclear pore complex are dispensable for selective nuclear protein import.
- Authors: Walther TC, Pickersgill HS, Cordes VC, Goldberg MW, Allen TD, Mattaj IW, Fornerod M
- Issue date: 2002 Jul 8