Options for first- and second-line therapy in small cell lung cancer--a workshop discussion.
AffiliationUniversity of Manchester and Christie Hospital, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIn a case study-based workshop, physicians were asked to discuss various aspects of patient management in small cell lung cancer (SCLC). For first-line chemotherapy, most investigators recommended treatment with etoposide/cisplatin, with possible dosing variations according to tolerability and convenience. In France (but not elsewhere), medical oncologists tend to use a four-drug regimen (etoposide/cisplatin/cyclophosphamide/epirubicin), based on the results of an extensive-stage SCLC trial. Alternative first-line regimens, such as vincristine/ifosfamide/carboplatin/etoposide (VICE) and topotecan/platinum, are currently being explored. Options for therapy in patients with recurrent disease are more varied, although there was consensus that active treatment at relapse should be considered. Regimens include topotecan (alone or in combination), cyclophosphamide/doxorubicin/vincristine (CAV) and re-induction with the earlier first-line agents. Studies are also investigating the potential benefits of other combinations, including topotecan/vinorelbine and paclitaxel/carboplatin. For patients with relapsed extensive-stage SCLC and brain metastases, whole brain radiation therapy was considered appropriate for both palliative and therapeutic reasons. The potential role of combination therapy with topotecan/temozolomide, both of which cross the blood-brain barrier, is currently being investigated.
CitationOptions for first- and second-line therapy in small cell lung cancer--a workshop discussion. 2003, 41 Suppl 4:S37-41 Lung Cancer
- Current standards of care in small-cell and non-small-cell lung cancer.
- Authors: Schiller JH
- Issue date: 2001
- Second-line chemotherapy in recurrent small cell lung cancer. Results from a crossover schedule after primary treatment with cisplatin and etoposide (EP-regimen) or cyclophosphamide, epirubicin, and vincristin (CEV-regimen).
- Authors: Sundstrøm S, Bremnes RM, Kaasa S, Aasebø U, Aamdal S, Norwegian Lung Cancer Study Group.
- Issue date: 2005 May
- Treatment of relapsed aggressive lymphomas: regimens with and without high-dose therapy and stem cell rescue.
- Authors: Hagemeister FB
- Issue date: 2002 May
- Topotecan as first-line therapy for small cell lung cancer.
- Authors: Greco FA
- Issue date: 2003 Aug
- Cyclophosphamide, doxorubicin, and vincristine in etoposide- and cisplatin-resistant small cell lung cancer.
- Authors: Shepherd FA, Evans WK, MacCormick R, Feld R, Yau JC
- Issue date: 1987 Oct